Gentle comedy drama based on the true story of 11 ladies from Yorkshire who stripped off for a charity calendar
- Helen Mirren, Julie Walters, John Alderton, Linda Bassett, Annette Crosbie, Philip Glenister, Ciaran Hinds, Celia Imrie and others
- Juliette Towhidi and Tim Firth
- Nigel Cole
- Suzanne Mackie, Nick Barton, Steve Clark-Hall and Nik Powell
Based on a true story, Calendar Girls tells the fictionalised story of a group of Women's Institute members from a small town in Yorkshire who determine to produce a calendar with a difference.
When the husband of a key member of the Women's Institute Knapely branch dies from leukaemia, her friends rally around. Having suffered many an uninspiring W.I. event over the years and experienced outdated furniture in a relatives' room at the local hospital, they decide to do something a little different to raise money to refurbish the room. It is not long before a calendar with rather different vistas from country views is born!
As the women struggle against some local opposition, family problems and W.I. objections to get the calendar made, they find themselves bonded and torn in unexpected ways, before a trip to Hollywood and America's evening chat show circuit threatens to destroy their friendships for good.
But who can say no to a bag of chips?
- UK certificate
- 108 minutes
- Release date
- Friday 5th September 2003
- Tuesday 2nd September 2003
- Production company
- Laugh track
Supporters and subscribers get more
- Last repeat
- Saturday 22nd August 2015 at 10:10pm on BBC2