Series G - Girls And Boys
With Ronni Ancona, Sandi Toksvig and Jack Dee.
In-Depth Episode Synopsis
Warning: the below synopsis may contain spoilers
- Tangent: Female monkeys are attracted to pink because infant primates have pink faces.
- Tangent: If you dress a baby in pink, a mother (but not of that child) will more likely hold it facing toward her, and if it is dressed in the blue the mother will be more likely to hold it facing away.
- Tangent: One experiment done with chimpanzees involved giving them dolls and trucks to play with. The females played with the dolls and the males with the trucks.
- Tangent: When Sandi gave birth to her son, she decided not to have any toy guns in the house. When he was two, he improvised with a toilet roll as a gun.
- Tangent: The "traje de luces" or "suit of lights" is the suit normally worn by matadors, which is usually pink.
- Tangent: The colour pink does not exist on the electrical spectrum.
- Tangent: According to studies of hunter-gatherer societies, 9/10ths of the food is collected by women.
- XL Tangent: Sperm which produce boys swim faster than sperm which produce girls, but they do not live as long.
- Tangent: A couple who were friends of Alan had a baby in Thailand, and the local Thai women said that if the mother looked pretty when pregnant, the child would be a girl, and if she looked tired and ugly, it would be a boy. When the mother asked what child she would probably have, they said it would be a boy - and they were right.
- Tangent: Sandi was once walking down the street with her two daughters and her son for no reason went "Hah!" like some kind of ninja. They had no idea why. When Sandi's son was six he a friend over who asked him what it was like having two mothers (Sandi is a lesbian). Her son said, "It's marvellous. If one of them is poorly, you've still got one to do for you."
- XL Tangent: Alan claims that if you have the football on the television when making love, chances are you will have a boy, to which Sandi retorts by saying that if the football is on, he'd be lucky to have any sex at all.
- Tangent: Germaine Greer said: "There are only two things that women don't do as well as men and that's design dresses and cook." This is because the most famous chefs and fashion designers are men.
- XL Tangent: Princess Khutulun, the niece of Kublai Khan, was the fiercest of all the warriors according to Marco Polo. She said that she would wrestle any man who wished to marry her. If she lost, she would marry the winner. If she lost, the loser would give her 100 horses. She died unmarried and with 10,000 horses.
- XL Tangent: Violent crime by women has risen in the UK by 25% over the past three years. It may be because of drink, because drunk women have 50% more testosterone in their blood. During the same period, violent crime by men has fallen by 2%.
- XL Tangent: When Sandi arrived to Britain aged 14 from New York, she had a thick New York accent. Because of this, no-one spoke to her for six weeks. However, she changed her accent after she watched the film "Brief Encounter". Stephen claims that if you are a boy being physically bullied, the best way to stop it is to say "No, no, no, don't! You'll give me an erection!"
- Tangent: There is a tribe in Africa where it is practice that when a woman gets married she is no longer allowed to use any of the syllables in her husband's name.
- Tangent: Other secret languages include "Pig Latin" in which you take the first syllable of the word, put it at the end of the word and add an "ay". In Pig Latin, "Quite Interesting" is "Itequay Interestingay". The Germans have a nonsense language called "Loffelsprache" which means "Spoon speak", the French have "Louchebem". There is also "Pileshki" and the Japanese have "Ba Bi Bu Be Bo". There is also a very camp High Church nonsense language, in which "Holy Communion" is called "Haggers commagers" and "Jessica Christ" for "Jesus Christ".
- XL Tangent: Killer whales can kill their human trainers.
- XL Tangent: Sandi's grandmother got thrown out of three care homes. Sandi's mother grew up in Maidstone during the Battle of Britain, and all the houses except her's got bombed. When Sandi asked why this happened, her mother said, "Granny wouldn't have allowed it."
- Tangent: Clown fish have relationships with a kind of anemone. They are one of the few fish not poisoned by them so the clown fish lay their eggs in the anemone. In terms of relationships between the fish, there is normally one female, one alpha male and lots of weaker males. When the female dies, the alpha male become the new female and one of the weak males becomes the new alpha male. So in the film "Finding Nemo", Nemo's father would have become his mother by the time Nemo was found.
- XL Tangent: When Alan attempted to grow a moustache, it was grey. His wife then told him that Alan already had grey pubic hairs.
- XL Tangent: A way to test if someone was German during World War Two was to get them to say certain names, because the Germans would pronounce them wrongly. Common examples included "Featherstonehaugh", "Cholmondeley", "Berkeley", "Mainwaring" and "Belvoir". One aristocratic name is "Tollemache", and there was a Tollemache-Tollemache family, but each half was pronounced differently. It was pronounced "Toolmake-Tollmash". One member of their family had the longest name of anyone in the British army, which was Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache. His elder brother was called Lyulph Ydwallo Odin Nestor Egbert Lyonel Toedmag Hugh Erchenwyne Saxon Esa Cromwell Orma Nevill Dysart Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache. The initials of his Christian names spell "Lyonel the Second".
- Tangent: Sandi stopped for directions in Ireland and ask the way to some town. The man said if she wanted to go to another town. Sandi said know, to which the man said it was a shame, because he knew the way to the other town.
First Broadcast Details
Episode Cast & Crew
Share on Social Media