Ronnie Barker stars as Norman Stanley Fletcher, trying to keep his nose clean and guiding his young 'roomie' Godber, whilst residing in HMP Slade
- Seven Of One
- Seven Of One: Prisoner And Escort (Pilot)
- 1973 - 1977 (BBC One / BBC Two)
- 21 (pilot + 3 series)
- Ronnie Barker, Richard Beckinsale, Fulton Mackay, Brian Wilde, Michael Barrington, Brian Glover, Christopher Biggins, Ronald Lacey, Tony Osoba, Sam Kelly
- Dick Clement, Ian La Frenais
- British Broadcasting Corporation
Set in Slade Prison, Porridge documents the life of Norman Stanley Fletcher, an habitual criminal.
Fletcher is a smart, witty, cunning and loveable character. He shares his cell with young Lennie Godber, a first time inmate upon whom he imparts his considerable wisdom and knowledge of the penal system and how to cope. The pair must contend with troublesome fellow cons, harsh wardens, unwitting mishaps and the regular stresses of prison life, keeping their heads above water without getting on the wrong side of their jailers.
Fletch's wing is headed by the strict Scottish screw Mr Mackay, assisted by the far more easy-going - and somewhat exploitable - Mr Barrowclough.