Status report Page 5,851

Quote: beaky @ 3rd September 2015, 7:12 PM BST

Don't bend over, you'll shoot the cat.

Feel free to shoot mine with a speeding cork. Hopefully it'll lodge up *her* arse.

Had to go to the doctor this morning as this pain with my "sciatica" has got worse and it seems it might be my hip, so am having to have an x-ray next week with the possibility of a replacement hip joint. Been given some extra strong pain killers in the meantime, but oh shit - don't get old folks! :(

Anyone had a hip replacement?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th September 2015, 11:47 AM BST

My mother had one. They replaced both joints in one go. Very bloody operation but it was worth it. She's been suffering for more than two years from extreme pain, she could hardly walk in the end. But since the operation she's able to walk like a normal person again without any pain.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 3rd September 2015, 7:09 PM BST

Have been suffering from sciatica (if you've had it, you will know how annoyingly painful it can be!) in the last fortnight and so have been taking codeine, and you know what that does to the plumbing, I'll be bound!

So, have shoved a "bullet" up me arse and see what develops - will let you know the outcome in due course (I hope).

Just thought you might like to know............. :)

Try pear juice.

On another note - am very pleased I wasn't bad mouthing a manager to someone in the office when I didn't realise they were standing behind me.

Also I think I might be about to get fired or reallocated to another position. This isn't related to my last point.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th September 2015, 11:55 AM BST

My mother had one. They replaced both joints in one go. Very bloody operation but it was worth it. She's been suffering for more than two years from extreme pain, she could hardly walk in the end. But since the operation she's able to walk like a normal person again without any pain.

Thank you Gordon, I think - "very bloody". Gulp. :(

Quote: reds @ 4th September 2015, 1:55 PM BST

Try pear juice.

Thanks for that - will give it a try. Am main shopping tomorrow so will get some along with Syrup of Figs the doctor recommended.

Anyone else any "loosening" liquids they can put forward or had experience of hip replacement?

Quote: billwill @ 27th August 2015, 5:54 PM BST

Yes and I have now done some filling & sanding of flaws that became obvious after the first coat and I have now applied a second coat.

So it is now back to watching paint dry. :P

Has the second coat dried yet?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th September 2015, 2:45 PM BST

I think - "very bloody". Gulp. :(

Yes, my mother had to give a lot of blood in the months before the operation. You are your own donator. But hey, giving blood is fun, think of that Dad's Army episode:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_9CqY-sUM

Wilson has one of my favourite lines between 12:30 and 12:50. Laughing out loud

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 4th September 2015, 3:45 PM BST

Yes, my mother had to give a lot of blood in the months before the operation. You are your own donator. But hey, giving blood is fun, think of that Dad's Army episode:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_9CqY-sUM

Wilson has one of my favourite lines between 12:30 and 12:50. Laughing out loud

Had to give her own blood for months?!? :O - is that normal in Switzerland? And surely it is only a minor operation - I could maybe understand it if it was a heart operation or the like. Oh dear. :(

Yes..........very good episode, but aren't they all. :D Still watching the repeats on a Saturday night even though I have them all on DVD. It just sets the evening up nicely.

You've obviously never seen it done on the telly then.

They cut the top of the bone completely off and ram the new joint down it like bashing in a huge tent peg.... there's a fair bit of blood and gore. :)

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 4th September 2015, 2:45 PM BST

Thank you Gordon, I think - "very bloody". Gulp. :(

Thanks for that - will give it a try. Am main shopping tomorrow so will get some along with Syrup of Figs the doctor recommended.

Anyone else any "loosening" liquids they can put forward or had experience of hip replacement?

Dried prunes, lots and lots of water, sipped slowly as often as you can. Try and avoid too much insoluable fibre, it will hold things up. Once you get going again it's ok but for now insoluble fibre is a better option. Stomach massage can help too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39GIWquhWg
Word of warning; if you do too much to get yourself going you could find yourself with the opposite problem so try and be patient. No advice on hip replacements but my sister had both knees done and says it gave her her life back.

Had to go to the doctor this morning as this pain with my "sciatica" has got worse and it seems it might be my hip, so am having to have an x-ray next week with the possibility of a replacement hip joint. Been given some extra strong pain killers in the meantime, but oh shit - don't get old folks! :(

LOOK! My mum says the same thing. "Don't get old!" What's the option? F**king DIE! And I don't want to do that just yet.

And mum had a Hip replacement in January and is fit as(an old) a flea.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 4th September 2015, 4:54 PM BST

You've obviously never seen it done on the telly then.

They cut the top of the bone completely off and ram the new joint down it like bashing in a huge tent peg.... there's a fair bit of blood and gore. :)

Oh, that's alright then.........thanks for that. :O

Quote: Loopey @ 4th September 2015, 4:54 PM BST

Dried prunes, lots and lots of water, sipped slowly as often as you can. Try and avoid too much insoluable fibre, it will hold things up. Once you get going again it's ok but for now insoluble fibre is a better option. Stomach massage can help too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N39GIWquhWg Word of warning; if you do too much to get yourself going you could find yourself with the opposite problem so try and be patient. No advice on hip replacements but my sister had both knees done and says it gave her her life back.

Ta :)

Quote: Chappers @ 4th September 2015, 5:37 PM BST

LOOK! My mum says the same thing. "Don't get old!" What's the option? F**king DIE! And I don't want to do that just yet.

And mum had a Hip replacement in January and is fit as(an old) a flea.

:O Well, I know you are about the same age as me, so how old is your Mother?

And how long did it take for her to get over the operation?

Good for her :)

I just noticed an ad for joint replacement on the top of the page. I blame you, HGT.

Prior to having his knee replaced, my father's surgeon said this:

For the first month you'll hate me because the pain was much worse than prior to the surgery.

After 2 months you'll wonder why you bothered, because it hurts as much as it did before the surgery.

After 3-6 months you'll thank me and wonder why you didn't have it replaced sooner.

Quote: playfull @ 4th September 2015, 3:31 PM BST

Has the second coat dried yet?

Yes the corridor is essentislly finished except for putting down carpet tiles, which I won't do till the other rooms are finished.

Now beginning the mammoth task of clearing my living room to decorate that!.

Began by collecting my 3 main computers in one place in the dining room, all sharing one screen, mouse and kbd.

Somewhat annoyed because Win10 & 7 won't capture video from my camcorder, wheras
Win XP used to do it with no hassle at all.

Aren't the symptoms of the 2 things quite different? I thought hip problems in fact cause groin pain.

On a more cheerful note ... I've had leg pain for 10 days, stemming from the base of the spine (old childhood injury). Yor post led my to Google sciatica and it looks like that's what I have. A nurse friend told me last night that, if sleeping on my side, I should place a pillow between the 2 knees (think it's to make sure the legs stay straight). I tried it, got up, no apparent change in the pain and vowed I wouldn't do it again. BUT, lo! Half an hour later and the pain was much, much less than yesterday. I'll be doing the pillow thing tonight again. Try it.