Status report Page 5,806

My daughter took her degree in English Literature.

I failed to see the connection with English Literature and an occupation.
I was quite vocal about it at the time.

She has however answered me with the perfect result.

She's now a University lecturer, teaching English Literature.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 26th May 2015, 4:38 PM BST

Just finished university today...now I'm a Master Of (F)Arts.

Well done, so fine arts? Are you going to be a traffic warden?

Quote: sootyj @ 27th May 2015, 12:06 PM BST

Don't knock it Sooty, it could lead to something else.

One of my sons took a summer job as a soil sampler for British Sugar when he was at Uni. He drove round the countryside digging up soil and then took it back to the labs. When he finished uni they gave him a production line job. He made suggestions about how things could be improved, got himself noticed and is now heading up projects to design equipment and improve production processes thanks to his 1st class honours engineering degree

Not bad for a 23 year old who thought a bit of soil sampling would tide him over while he looked for a 'proper' job.

Fine art, as in giving out fines as an art.

I'll get me coat.

Quote: sootyj @ 27th May 2015, 1:33 PM BST

Fine art, as in giving out fines as an art.

I'll get me coat.

I think it's me who should get my coat for not getting the joke.
:$

Quote: keewik @ 24th May 2015, 11:33 PM BST

Reds, you really need to take a good hard look at your life and decide what work would give you satisfaction. *after too much white wine, I'm ready to sort everybody's lives*

Thanks

I was more annoyed that it was Monday and I was still half asleep. Things have got a bit better since I changed office and the structure of the job changed slightly. It is still stressful but not as bad.

I've never really enjoyed any of my jobs but seem to have got lucky that most of the people have been nice.

Not really sure what I'm passionate about job wise- When I was younger I tried to get into the only industry I ever felt any passion for, but unfortunately due to some permanent medical issues it wasn't possible and there is no way to get around it.

These day my passion is holidays in London- so apart from the need to buy food/pay rent/electricity etc, that is the reason I go to my job each day.

:)

Quote: sootyj @ 27th May 2015, 12:06 PM BST

Yeah, well, good point, possibly. But let me celebrate my degree and drown in beer first before I drown in the ugly reality of life. :D

Waiting for wheelchair team to arrive for new chair fitting. Feeling trepidatious.

Does this involve a stranger measuring one's backside?

Like Mr. Humphries.

Quote: zooo @ 28th May 2015, 1:59 PM BST

Does this involve a stranger measuring one's backside?

Did I detect a frisson of excitement there?

Have a large lump and a bruise on my forehead, due to standing in the wrong place when I opened the car door, so that the top corner caught my head. Thought I'd knocked my brains out.

Quote: keewik @ 28th May 2015, 4:23 PM BST

Did I detect a frisson of excitement there?

Have a large lump and a bruise on my forehead, due to standing in the wrong place when I opened the car door, so that the top corner caught my head. Thought I'd knocked my brains out.

Well being Scottish you were probably pissed and being Scottish are there any brains?

:O What with your post on Let's Play a Game, you're in a racist mood today.

No, the pissedness will be tonight when I gear up for all the politics programmes so I can shout at the TV.

Quote: keewik @ 28th May 2015, 4:31 PM BST

No, the pissedness will be tonight when I gear up for all the politics programmes so I can shout at the TV.

They can't hear you, you know.