Status report Page 5,783

Quote: A Horseradish @ 16th April 2015, 11:37 PM BST

Good luck with it, Ben.

All the best people splash about too much. :)

Speak for yourself! Laughing out loud

It's the second day of my soup challenge test!

My what? You ask!

Well... Basically after snubbing tinned soup, I have since found a keen fondness for Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup. But I don't want to necessarily pay Heinz prices (yeah I'm a cheapo, what of it?) Anyway, I bought the supermarket brand version at 55p and the even cheaper no frills at 35p (prices may differ) Yesterday the 55p passed with flying colours! Which means for me, I can buy two cans of that for practically the price of 1 can of Heinz. Winning! So if today's test on the cheapest goes well, I'm gonna be a happy boy.

Results to follow shortly...

*dramatic music*

That is the only flavour soup I like. (The proper one, not your cheapo version.)
Does it really taste EXACTLY the same?

This cheap one was quite watery in texture compared to the other two. I think it also lacked any cream in the ingredients and probably a bit too much sugar or sweetener. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the same.

I believe the middle one (55p) to be the best, tastiest and made even more enjoyable by the price point. Heinz is good but at the end of the day, it's a tin of processed soup and I don't really want to pay over a pound for it.

Quote: Lee @ 17th April 2015, 12:44 PM BST

This cheap one was quite watery in texture compared to the other two. I think it also lacked any cream in the ingredients and probably a bit too much sugar or sweetener. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the same.

I believe the middle one (55p) to be the best, tastiest and made even more enjoyable by the price point. Heinz is good but at the end of the day, it's a tin of processed soup and I don't really want to pay over a pound for it.

Over a pound!?.........well, if you will go to Fortnum and Mason, what do you expect. Will always be Heinz for me.

I remember in the late 60s at a Heinz convention (yes, I worked for them then so am biased :D ) in a local hotel, they were foolish enough to serve tomato soup as a starter. Catering powered type then..........just to take the piss we all ordered it (some 20 of us) and then sent it back - it was crap though.

I like this one -

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317--10568-essential+Waitrose+vegetable+soup

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th April 2015, 1:15 PM BST

Over a pound!?.........well, if you will go to Fortnum and Mason, what do you expect. Will always be Heinz for me.

Well 95p but close enough!

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Tinned_Soup/Heinz_Classic_Cream_of_Tomato_Soup_400g.html

And it was 45p for the other one and 24p for the cheapest. My prices were a bit generous!

Yes but you're still BUYING the expensive ones to compare so what's the point?

Quote: Lee @ 17th April 2015, 1:56 PM BST

Well 95p but close enough!

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Tinned_Soup/Heinz_Classic_Cream_of_Tomato_Soup_400g.html

And it was 45p for the other one and 24p for the cheapest. My prices were a bit generous!

Yeah, so 75p at Tesco (where I go) if you buy 4, which is no problem and for another 30p I would rather have the real thing. ;) Can't beat the taste of Heinz Tomato soup.

I actually don't really like Heinz Beans either and prefer the supermarket brand. :D

Quote: Lee @ 17th April 2015, 5:27 PM BST

I actually don't really like Heinz Beans either and prefer the supermarket brand. :D

Tescos own seem to be the bast.

Quote: Lee @ 17th April 2015, 5:27 PM BST

:O

Is doing a 17Km run today. Had to get up at 6:45 in the morning because of it....on a Saturday!!! I hope I won't break a leg or suffer a heart attack.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 18th April 2015, 6:29 AM BST

Is doing a 17Km run today. Had to get up at 6:45 in the morning because of it....on a Saturday!!! I hope I won't break a leg or suffer a heart attack.

Run off all that excess from last night's razzle dazzle. ;)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 18th April 2015, 6:29 AM BST

Hope it goes well Gordon. Tell us more about it later if you are not in hospital.

On the soup front, my brother in law makes excellent pea soup. He is going to blitz me some and bring it later today. It will make a nice change from yogurt, weetabix, fish and mash. Not all at the same time.

In other news, Loopey is a bit sore and disorientated after an exhausting wheelchair fitting yesterday but is looking forward to getting a new seat.