Four Lions - Chris Morris' Jihadi Comedy Page 14

Quote: Tony Cowards @ August 25 2011, 10:35 AM BST

A Rolex or a Casio?

Or would it be "worth watching again"?

Sorry, the use of "watch" like that (and "ask", as in "that's a big ask" rather than "that's a big thing to ask"), mainly by football commentators, does my noggin in.

;)

Apologies. Didn't realise it was annoying.

Like anyone who says 'Early doors', who needs a slap, and worst phrase in the world: 'It is what it is', which should be punishable by death. Even typing that made my stomach churn...

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ August 25 2011, 11:42 AM BST

Apologies. Didn't realise it was annoying.

Like anyone who says 'Early doors', who needs a slap, and worst phrase in the world: 'It is what it is', which should be punishable by death. Even typing that made my stomach churn...

Dan

Sorry Dan, it's just me being in a grouchy mood and it's one of my bugbears along with people making monkey jokes about the "Planet of the Apes" movies (the clue is in the f***ing title folks).

:P

I was really looking forwards to watching the DVD, which me and the wife did, coincidently at the same time it was shown on telly! Which was it turns out the funniest bit of the film. I didn't find it funny or witty or anything but a sort of flat dull endurance test, raising about two snorts of laughter, it was one huge disappointment.

I have extremely low Chris Morris tolerance but much to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed this.

I think my extremely low tolerance for religion made me fairly much hate it on reflection. The best moment was the leader realising the futility of it all and blowing up boots..

Quote: Kevin Murphy @ August 25 2011, 9:45 AM GMT

I'd go so far as to put Four Lions in the same category as Life of Brian.

British-made, hilarious, with a point to make.

They were quite similair, both ripping the pish out of religion and it's impossible to imagine anyone but Brits making either film.

Life Of Brian was a much bigger and more lavish production than Four Lions, but despite the smaller budget, no big names, and not very exotic locations, Four Lions was pure comic genuis.

It is what it is.

Quote: Badge @ February 16 2012, 7:06 PM GMT

It is what it is.

No it isn't.

Almost painfully dull.

For every scene with a laugh in, there's a good ten minutes of meandering, boring material. Occasionally those minutes might afford a slight chuckle, but no more. A few genuinely funny set piece scenes but just too few and far between. Feels more like watching a confused and directionless drama than a comedy.

Quote: Aaron @ May 2 2012, 11:21 PM BST

Almost painfully dull.

For every scene with a laugh in, there's a good ten minutes of meandering, boring material. Occasionally those minutes might afford a slight chuckle, but no more. A few genuinely funny set piece scenes but just too few and far between. Feels more like watching a confused and directionless drama than a comedy.

Hmmm...

I suppose people have different opinions, but still... I think it's the best British film comedy in 30 years, maybe more. The drama adds to the funny. And I really don't recognise "confused and directionless", quite the opposite.

I thought it was very funny. I can understand some of the criticism though (but I think 'painfully dull' seems a bit harsh). I think in terms of Chris Morris' other work it's somewhere in the middle. Not in the same league as On the Hour, The Day Today and Brass Eye, but better than Blue Jam, Jam and Nathan Barley.

But I really can't think of many other British comedy films that have been as good in the last 10 years or so. Only the Steve Coogan/Michael Winterbottom collaborations spring to mind.

Quote: Aaron @ May 2 2012, 11:21 PM BST

Almost painfully dull.

:O

This is why I lose faith in this website. This was not only watchable but hilariously brilliant from start to finish. Funny, original, controversial and cutting edge - everything that most British comedy films aren't.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ May 3 2012, 1:45 PM BST

:O

This is why I lose faith in this website.

Because one person didn't happen to like something much that you did? Never let it be said that you go over the top RC!

Quote: Matthew Stott @ May 3 2012, 1:59 PM BST

Because one person didn't happen to like something much that you did? Never let it be said that you go over the top RC!

If one of its biggest naysayers is also one of the 'gate keepers' of the BCG, then my reaction is perfectly understandable. Some people look to Aaron for his judgement on all things comedic - not me obviously - but you know, other people, idiots and such.

;)

I think most people understand that a review is just one person's opinion!
Did he even call it painfully dull in the review, or was it just in a thread post? I could check if I wasn't so lazy...