The What In The World Quiz

Reminder: this show starts on Channel Five in 20 minutes (7:30pm 5th September). It's billed as being a bit like QI - the chances of it coming anywhere near that show in the funny and educational stakes is remote at best I'd say, but we'll see. Post up your thoughts afterwards!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_what_in_the_world/

Thanks for that Mark. I'd managed to miss this, but will certainly tune in. :)

I have to say I had a mixed reaction. I did laugh at some bits and found some parts discussed to be interesting (I never heard of the sailing stones, and quite liked Lee Hurst's "Moss" ad lib), but was annoyed when they kept talking over each other.

I'm not sure that QI is the best thing to compare it to, because it is more experimental. Also, with the academic experts, I would say it is more akin to something like The Museum of Curiosity. Also, I'm annoyed that the programme was so short. It ended before 19:55, but the next programme begins at 20:00.

Hmm. Unsure by this. It wasn't particularly special, but then it strikes me as the kind of thing that might be a grower, and take a bit of time to settle in and find its feet. I'm glad I watched it, but I'm not going to weep if for some reason it's not broadcast again.

I agree with you on the grower front. Best to wait and see how the show progresses.

Missed it. Any know if it's repeated?

I don't know if it is repeated on Five, but the series will probably appear on Demand Five, the channel's on demand service.

Cheers Wolfman

Any time Putterslad.

:D

Quote: Nil Putters @ September 5 2008, 8:26 PM BST

Missed it. Any know if it's repeated?

It's repeated on Thursday at quarter to midnight.

Unfortunately I'm of a differing opinion to those above. I didn't enjoy it much at all. As a comedy it is just awful, Brigstocke is clearly bored and thus is coasting, whilst the two team captains didn't insert nearly enough jokes... or even bother to set them up for each other most of the time.

As a factual show it was very interesting, don't get me wrong, it just shouldn't have tried to be funny.

Quote: Ian Wolf @ September 5 2008, 7:54 PM BST

I'm not sure that QI is the best thing to compare it to, because it is more experimental. Also, with the academic experts, I would say it is more akin to something like The Museum of Curiosity.

You're right - having seen it, it is very Museum of Curiosity like (a bit of a rip-off even).

The best thing about this new show was the good concept behind the Time Bomb round... just shame they spoilt it by, as you say, talking all over it.

Thanks Mark, I'll try and remember.

Like that's gonna happen.

Quote: Mark @ September 5 2008, 8:51 PM BST

As a comedy it is just awful, Brigstocke is clearly bored and thus is coasting, whilst the two team captains didn't insert nearly enough jokes... or even bother to set them up for each other most of the time.

I don't know about that, I thought Lee Hurst was smashing.

Oh hang on, that's probably not the best expression to describe Hurst at the moment. Chortle reports that during a recent gig, he thought someone was filming him on a mobile phone, so he took the phone and smashed it.

Ha ha. That story was badly timed wasn't it.

They say "Any publicity is good publicity". That is bollocks.