The Olympics Page 77

Quote: David Bussell @ August 2 2012, 10:10 PM BST

Live tweeted a couple of GB games from the stadium @BussellComedy. What am I like?

You're like a spamming machine. Besides 'had a secret wank to the beach volleyball under my Union Jack towel' is hardly acceptable Tweet material.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 10:14 PM BST

You're like a spamming machine. Besides 'had a secret wank to the Union Jack under whilst in the beach volley ball team is hardly acceptable Tweet material.

On the contrary I find it fascnating.

Watching it now and Team GB have gone out, it's a shame as they're brilliant but keep making basic mistakes.

Still unlike those weak foreigns, Team BG eschewed the trousers / long sleeves look and played in their skimpys despite the night air. Gawd bless 'em!

Quote: Ben @ August 2 2012, 10:13 PM BST

Doesn't your wife run the Olympics or something?

Yeah, she pretty much built the games with her own two hands. At least the way she tells it.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ August 2 2012, 10:14 PM BST

You're like a spamming machine.

If every sport was photographed like beach volleyball. http://www.metro.us/philadelphia/international/article/1148979
So true.

Quote: Oldrocker @ August 2 2012, 10:00 PM BST

Laughing out loud
The GB track cycling team 'came' pretty quickly too. So Sir Hoy gets another Gold medal and heaps of more unreasonable praise. It was all over in a blur. Which leads me to think that medals should be graded. The 100 metres sprint is over in less than 10 seconds. This medal should not be as highly prized as the marathon medal and yet everyone talks about the 100 metres and not marathon, it's not right!

And Phelps praised as greatest Olympian ever. Is he? Hang on, doesn't he have about a hundred more events to take part in than non swimming gold medalists? It's staggered me how many different events in swimming there've been, and they're still going on! I was starting to wonder if there were any other sports going on. They should call it The Mainly Swimming Olympics. Phelps won 8 Golds in 8 days at last games, who else gets a chance to do that, sailing? marathon? Daley Thompson did 10 events over a week and yet only got one medal. It's all a bit unbalanced isn't it?

Nude ukranian protestors who look like super models

Feminism is confusing

I have three spare tix for Men's Footy semis at Wembley on Tuesday at 5pm, £75 each if anyone wants (or knows of anybody who wants) them?

PM me if you do.

Dan

Quote: Nogget @ August 2 2012, 1:38 PM BST

What annoys me is that the badminton rules are such that these teams have an incentive to lose, but then get disqualified for doing so. It's the rules that are wrong, the teams are just attempting to use them to their best advantage.

This is true, and is being used as the excuse by the players it seems, especially the South Koreans who seem to be in denial that they did anything wrong. The format will have to change, but this format is used in other games and hasn't led to such blatant abuse, so it hints at teams planning to throw mathces here and that is plainly very wrong.

It shows how the Orientals just don't get sportsmanship the way the rest of the world does. Ding in the snooker got loads of criticism for not declaring fouls, the Japs appeal in the gym even tho their bloke fell off, the Chinese ping pongers are notorious for trying to put the opponent off. They just want to win and don't care how they do it.

Only just seen the clips of one game and I was staggered at how blatant it was and how they clompletely disregarded the fans who were loudly booing and just carried on trying to lose! Incredible! They even carried on the same after the official came on and clearly said 'You could be disqualified'.

Somewhat surprisingly, considering their win at all costs reputation, the Chinese have behaved the most honourably in accepting that they abused the Olympic spirit or whatever and publicly apologised, although apparently needed two goes at it. Well done China for making them do that.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 3 2012, 10:04 AM BST

This is true, and is being used as the excuse by the players it seems, especially the South Koreans who seem to be in denial that they did anything wrong.

To be fair, all countries do it. Hoy's gold was tainted by a team mate deliberately crashing to put the team in a better place.

*IMPLODES*

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ August 3 2012, 10:04 AM BST

It shows how the Orientals just don't get sportsmanship the way the rest of the world does. Ding in the snooker got loads of criticism for not declaring fouls, the Japs appeal in the gym even tho their bloke fell off, the Chinese ping pongers are notorious for trying to put the opponent off. They just want to win and don't care how they do it.

Does that include the Leyton Orientals?

Quote: chipolata @ August 3 2012, 11:25 AM BST

To be fair, all countries do it. Hoy's gold was tainted by a team mate deliberately crashing to put the team in a better place.

Yeah I saw him say that and winced a bit. TV's probably not the best place to own up to things like that, and who else would've known? I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on.

Taking little liberties maybe but the badminton fiasco was a total farce, truly bizarre to see two highly skilled teams trying to out error the other.:S It was like a Monty Python sketch.

Loving the Olympics, absolutely brilliant.

Team GB are doing fantastically well, have managed to catch nearly all the medals we've won although I was in the car on my way to Devon for a gig when Sir Chris Hoy equalled Sir Steve Redgraves five golds, I did hear it on 5Live though.

Have to say, apart from the appalling coverage of the cycling road races, the TV coverage has been brilliant, the interviews with Ruta Meilutyte and Chad Le Clos's dad have been my highlights, just showing what winning an Olympic gold means to the athletes and family concerned.

Claire Balding has proved what a consummate broadcaster she is, her double act with Mark Foster has been brilliant, striking the perfect balance of knowledge and humour.

All in all I am LOVING the Olympics and now the athletics has started bring it on!

Love it or hate it, when the Olympics are over and we have to go back to normality, it's going to be a massive anti-climax.

And despite all the naysayers, it's been a great games so far and certainly more hassle free then most.

Also, I think I'm in love with the Team GB womens hockey team.