Mumbai Calling

Reported today, filming has just been completed on a seven-episode series of Mumbai Calling.

I'm quite pleased to hear this, as I quite enjoyed the pilot - even more so because it's on ITV, so they really are trying to make a change. It appears that this first series has been written by a 12-strong team, lead by its co-creator and star Sanjeev Bhaskar, and Andrew Collins - perhaps explaining his relative absence from Not Going Out series 2?

Anyway. Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one. I do have reservations though. Whilst the pilot had quite a grubby setting, I found that rather endearing. But the full series has apparently been moved to a big flashy office setting, which always feel a bit cold and soul-less in my opinion. Pity, but maybe other changes have been made which will make it 'work'.

Still, we'll see when it's broadcast!

Andrew Collins mention another sitcom on the NGO thread, but he kept quiet. This will be it then.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Unless he's been hiding even more genius, and has been working on a third again?!

I'd be interested to hear his take on his sitcom writing exploits. He seems to get drafted in to help the 'star'. This is his third sitcom co-write, along with NGO and Grass.

From what I hear Andrew's got his fingers in many pies.

This was indeed the "other sitcom" I was working on before Christmas. I wrote one single episode out of seven, which I was very pleased with. It's the first time I've been employed to join an existing project and it was a very useful experience for me, having previously worked on sitcoms from a very early stage of development. In a way, it's a harder task, as you must adjust your writing style to fit. I hope I did that. We shall see! (And no, I didn't get to go to India.)

I thought it would be easier because everything is set-up, but I suppose these characters aren't yet characters we know enough to know them... or something like that anyway?

:S

I really liked the pilot so I'm pleased this will come back. I just hope Andrew hasn't completely ruined it - only kidding Angelic, we all know he won't. :)

What with his left-wing views and all!!

Cue: Aaron.

Quote: Leevil @ March 6, 2008, 3:21 PM

I thought it would be easier because everything is set-up, but I suppose these characters aren't yet characters we know enough to know them... or something like that anyway?

:S

I can imagine it being quite difficult as any episode only shows a tiny part of the world that the creator has made up, plus the style of writing will be different.

MC wasn't very similar to NGO so it must be a challenge. Although we will smell a rat if Lee Mack turns up as Sanjeev's best mate trying to hit on his sister.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ March 6, 2008, 3:19 PM

This was indeed the "other sitcom" I was working on before Christmas. I wrote one single episode out of seven, which I was very pleased with. It's the first time I've been employed to join an existing project and it was a very useful experience for me, having previously worked on sitcoms from a very early stage of development. In a way, it's a harder task, as you must adjust your writing style to fit. I hope I did that. We shall see! (And no, I didn't get to go to India.)

Hope you don't mind me directing a question at you.

This is the third sitcom you've been involved in with a big name comedy person. First Grass, then NGO, now this.

Are you seen as someone who brings a bit of 'proper narrative writer' to a project because of your drama work on EastEnders and Family Affairs? (And the fact you're funny, obviously)

Quote: Leevil @ March 6, 2008, 5:23 PM

What with his left-wing views and all!!

Cue: Aaron.

Laughing out loud

So what's 'mumbai' when it's around, then?

It's what used to be Bombay. Haven't changed the snack though *shakes head*

Quote: Leevil @ March 8, 2008, 8:10 PM

It's what used to be Bombay. Haven't changed the snack though *shakes head*

Ah I see... political correctness running riot. I'm afraid it's still Bombay as far as yours truly is concerned. Peking will not become Beijing, Moscow will not become Moskva and Paris will not become Paree.

Etc etc