Vic and Bob in Catterick

Did anyone see this series?

Anyhoo I loved it, I want to own my very own DVD of it. Where can I get it huh huh.

Oh those Kinky Boots. Morwenna Banks is fabulous in it too.

Normaly I am not a massive fan of Vic N Bob. I did like Shooting Stars tho.

Just wanted to know more views on it..

I haven't seen 'Catterick' yet, but would be interested.
I wasn't a fan of Vic & Bob's early madcap humour, but I grew to find it enormously endearing whilst watching 'Shooting Stars'.
I didn't think I'd enjoy their version of (one of my favourite TV shows:) Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased) and yet I found it highly entertaining albeit far from perfect.

Also, I love Morwenna Banks from 'Absolutely' to 'Saxondale'. She is an under-acknowledged gem of British comedy!

It is a great series. Maybe the best thing Vic and Bob have done, although Bang! Bang! is probably the most quintessential of their shows. Catterick, as a sitcom, was new grounds for them.

Vic Reeves' two main characters here are amazingly funny, even better than they were in Bang! Bang!. As an American, D.I. Fowler's accent is one of the funniest American accents I've ever heard. It's just ridiculous. Bob's main character, Carl, is very low key, but still provides many great laughs. Vic's Chris Palmer is also extremely funny.

The supporting cast is great. Matt Lucas, Morweena Banks and especiallly Reece Shearsmith all are at their best here. Tim Healy's stories about his "cold" wife are also a highlight of the show. The songs in it are great as well, and make for some really interesting, almost Magnolia-like scenes. Lastly, I think it worked really well as a single series, although I wouldn't mind seeing more, I think the story was done and told very well. Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen this yet, and as others have said, you might not have to love their other shows to really enjoy this.

Quote: Mike @ January 11, 2007, 2:49 AM

Highly recommended to anyone who hasn't seen this yet, and as others have said, you might not have to love their other shows to really enjoy this.

Thanks for that, now I'm ever more keen to see it!

It didn't seem to go down that well at the time, but I thought it was okay. Not the best thing they ever did, but watchable and pretty damn dark in places.

I thought it was excellent and I really don't 'get' their humour most of the time.

I'd watched Big Night Out and didn't laugh, very occasionally laughed at Shooting Stars but would always laugh at them when they were being interviewed, which suggested to me that they were funny guys, but lost it if they had to write a script!

But Catterick was really good and I'd recommend to people who don't particularly get the humour of Vic and Bob.

(Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) was quite good fun too).

Dan

Quote: charley rance @ January 11, 2007, 1:54 AM

Anyhoo I loved it, i want to own my very own DVD of it. Where can i get it huh huh.

Amazon?

As for the show, hmmm. Interesting. I suppose it was interesting and entertaining enough, but I can't say that I remember finding it at all funny. Worth watching I suppose, but unless you've seen and like it already, I wouldn't recommend shelling out for a DVD.

Quote: Aaron @ January 11, 2007, 1:39 PM

As for the show, hmmm. Interesting. I suppose it was interesting and entertaining enough, but I can't say that I remember finding it at all funny. Worth watching I suppose, but unless you've seen and like it already, I wouldn't recommend shelling out for a DVD.

Yeah, it ranks as the sort of show I would borrow or watch repeats rather than buy. Remember quite liking the music links, which is surprising cause that is the sort of thing that normally makes me turn off.

Loved this show, Im a big Vic and Bob fan and, although a lot of people seemed to dislike this show, I think its possibly the best thing theyve ever done. Very odd, very funny and very Reeves and Mortimer. When the hell are those two going to do something new?? Did anyone ever see 'The Weekenders' sit-com pilot they made? Watched it for the first time on a website recently and thought it was great.

This is a very watch-able show, also has the wonderful Mark Benton and proves the Matt lucas can do better that the same tired old Little Britain gags

Barry

I loved Weekenders too!
I'm a massive Vic and Bob fan and have actually liked everything they've done, though to varying degrees. (Even Families At War :O ).
I loved Catterick and would be very happy to see a second series. Although what I really want from them is another Bang Bang or Smell Of series, a mixture of sketches, characters and presenting suits them best I think.

I think Reeves and Mortimer were at their best in the early days on Big Night Out, Smell Of Reeves and Mortimer and Shooting Stars. Since then they seem to have lost their way slightly, and none of their recent offerings have really gelled. Catterick was seen as quite a failure by the beeb and they seem to have fallen out of fashion and been eclipsed by other stars. Still, Vic's got quite a nice looking wife.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ January 11, 2007, 7:01 PM

Did anyone ever see 'The Weekenders' sit-com pilot they made? Watched it for the first time on a website recently and thought it was great.

I saw The Weekenders when it was first broadcast and enjoyed it, although for some reason only two things stick with me - an appearance by Phil Oakey and the line 'why are you throwing partially drunk milk bottles through my window?'

Just discovered this thread. Well done Charley for bringing it up...

I thought Catterick was great. Sick and gruesome. I've loved nearly everything I've seen Vic & Bob do - including Randall & Hopkirk which I got cheap on DVD (both series). Their humour is original and unpredictable - no-one to my mind can write like them. I'm currently in the middle of reading "Me Moir", Vics autobiog. Very funny - if you like him.

When Catterick comes out let me know.

Its been out for ages, you can get it cheap on Amazon. No extras though unfortunatly, but yeah this was a fantastic series, one of Vic and Bobs best work recently anyway. But Vic Reeves Big Night Out is still my fave.