BBC Comedy College Page 28

Does one have to be young to enter?

Sent mine in 17:02 on Sunday. Reply came 17:16.

Dan

I think they rejected me straight away. Threatening e-mails are ok right?

Did you write (LAUGH -- YOU BASTARDS) after every line of your script?

Dan

So the closing time for applications is 11:59PM on Monday night?

Quote: roscoff @ April 10 2008, 1:36 PM BST

Nope

If you don't get the automated acknowledgement then we haven't received the entry.

Quote: chipolata @ April 10 2008, 3:08 PM BST

So the closing time for applications is 11:59PM on Monday night?

Correct.

Quote: bushbaby @ April 10 2008, 2:31 PM BST

Does one have to be young to enter?

I believe it's been stated by MJ (either here or on Writers Dock) that age is not a factor - you can be young, you can be old. And fair enough, say I. There's no age limit to funny.

Yeah, of the six writers five will be pensioners. Get real, most are going to be young whipper snappers who haven't started shaving yet.

I haven't started shaving yet. But I am not going out till six thirty as that is when the pub opens, so I still have plenty of time.

Quote: chipolata @ April 10 2008, 3:44 PM BST

Yeah, of the six writers five will be pensioners. Get real, most are going to be young whipper snappers who haven't started shaving yet.

If the Drama Writers Academy is anything to go by there doesn't seem to be a bias against older writers. Judging by the pictures of each years intake the majority seemed to have long left their teenage years behind.

Comedy is hugely youth orientated and the BBC is desperate to attract viewers from the 18 - 35 demographic, hence the massive amount of money it pumps into BBC3. It would be ridiculous to suggest that a scheme like this is going to select people on the basis of age - however, I still think when it all shakes out you'll get six writers under 35.

Maybe you will at the end of the day, but we haven't put our ages on our 'writing CV' so it would be hard to discriminate, even if they wanted to.

I doubt they will though -- just looking for the six with the most potential.

Dan

Quote: Seamus @ April 10 2008, 4:02 PM BST

If the Drama Writers Academy is anything to go by there doesn't seem to be a bias against older writers. Judging by the pictures of each years intake the majority seemed to have long left their teenage years behind.

Hello, as we weren't asked to give our age won't it be purely based on our CV and material and the money I sent?

The point is this, the BBC establishment will be looking for scripts that appeal to the holy grail 18-35 demographic. So the six that do well, might not neccessarily be the funniest, just the ones that Michael Jacob et all feel will appeal more to the BBC3 audience. For example, if today's BBC was sent Steptoe and Son and Two Pints Of Lager, which do you think they'd pump money into developing?

Quote: chipolata @ April 10 2008, 4:26 PM BST

For example, if today's BBC was sent Steptoe and Son and Two Pints Of Lager, which do you think they'd pump money into developing?

'I’d Do Anything'