BBC Comedy College Page 23

Quote: Aldeem @ April 3 2008, 7:57 PM BST

It just irks em that the BBC, the definitive home of British comedy, produces such a load of inane and inept comedy these days. Titty Bang Bang, Little Miss Jocelyn, My Family, Two Pints, that Omar bloke, the Iranian stand up, and that show he did - the list is a long one. What is wriong?

Well maybe that's exactly what they're trying to fix with this scheme.

We can't have it both ways, complaining that they don't give good comedy a chance, and then complaining when they (potentially) do.

(Welcome to the board, by the way!)

Quote: Aldeem @ April 3 2008, 7:57 PM BST

and I am not sure that Ms Nickson has/can write for an audience that isn't into binge drinking, writing in text speak and happy slapping, though I may be wrong.

I think the ability to appeal to a young open-minded audience with a lot of disposable income is a rare and genuine gift; wish I was able to write for the binge-drinking happy slappers. They sound more fun than Independent readers. Can't understand why Susan Nickson attracts so much flak. I love the characters she creates.
My Family is guilty of little more than having a wide appeal, also Pulling and Gavin & Stacey are modern classics. Looking pretty good for the Beeb I'd say.

Hi Aldeem

It would be ridiculous to put a writer with a mentor who wasn't on the same wavelength. And vice versa.

There are no committees, sub-committees etc. We pitch to a commissioner. If the commissioner likes the project we pitch to a channel controller.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ April 4 2008, 9:15 AM BST

Hi Aldeem

It would be ridiculous to put a writer with a mentor who wasn't on the same wavelength.

Is this scheme for Radio then?

Quote: Marc P @ April 4 2008, 9:17 AM BST

Is this scheme for Radio then?

On behalf of the ALL BSG'ers may I say, and I'm sure they will agree *GROAN*

:)

;)
;)

I think I saw Michael Jacob last night, but I completely failed to talk to him.

Or anyone else for that matter.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ April 4 2008, 9:15 AM BST

Hi Aldeem

It would be ridiculous to put a writer with a mentor who wasn't on the same wavelength. And vice versa.

There are no committees, sub-committees etc. We pitch to a commissioner. If the commissioner likes the project we pitch to a channel controller.

You have an admirable radar there Micheal. Both here and on Writer's Dock you respond within hours, which I think is very good of you. Would you deny however that there is any semblance of truth in the bureaucratic hurdles and decisions by committee going on down at the beeb? Also, how DO shows like Titty Bang Bang get commissioned? it's enough to make an aspiring writer take up sea fishing.

Are we allowed multiple entries? Sorry if this has already been covered but I can't be arsed going through the entire thread.

Quote: chipolata @ April 4 2008, 9:56 AM BST

Are we allowed multiple entries?

I don't think so. From what Micheal said it's CV read first, then script if you've met some minimum requirements.

Dan

My CV won't take long, but it will fulfill the minimum requirements for the scheme.

Then it'll just be the quote about 'not being arsed' that'll keep you out of it.

;)

Dan

Nonsense. That not being arsed quote is proof of my maverick genius. ;)

:) hehe

Dan

Quote: Phill @ April 4 2008, 9:51 AM BST

I think I saw Michael Jacob last night, but I completely failed to talk to him.

Or anyone else for that matter.

Next time you see him ask him what originally attracted him to the the script of the morally dubious laughter-free zone that was Thieves Like Us.