BBC Comedy College Page 22

I think they'll be quite rigorous about just concentrating on entries from writers with commissions, and weed out the bullshitters early on. Otherwise it'd just be an open door competition for everyone.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 19, 2008, 12:31 AM

Wouldn't that just be a waste of time? What's so funny about a CV?

If it was an open competition (a la Sketch Factor, Last Laugh, the BBC talent stuff, etc.) then you'd have a point.

But seeing as Mr Jacob's been on here saying that the course isn't designed for novices, I don't think you do. It's a development programme, rather than a talent search. The suggestion being that if you bring in someone without a track record, it could be a bigger waste of time.

Now, I can't quite see why that would be the case, but I haven't designed the course, so I don't know.

Sorry - I've only read part of the thread - as usual!

There is a similar, if very much shorter, thread over on WD... http://www.writersdock.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=530876

the final couple of postings are these...

It looks like an exciting scheme, sadly though, probably out of reach for most of us who have no track record in the business.

Yeah but...if someone (not me I hasten to add) sent in a particular clever and witty script and didn't have a track record - would they really discard it?

I think not!

That would depend on what they read first - the CV, or the script.

MichealJacob: CV first.

kjs

There is a lot of politics involved in these things anyway. I know of a BBC competition a few years back in which the finalists scripts were voted on by a handful of BBC producers and beeb heads of departments. The person who was announced the winner of the competition was not the person who won the vote, or even came second. They came about fifth or sixth. The person who was announced the winner alsio happened to tick a few boxes in terms of being an underrepresented minority. So don't be surprised if when this thing all shakes out the six winning writers fulfill a few quotas.

This isn't an origin story for Little Miss Jocelyn, is it?

Quote: The Johnson @ March 24, 2008, 12:03 AM

This isn't an origin story for Little Miss Jocelyn, is it?

No - it says "Comedy".

Quote: chipolata @ March 20, 2008, 11:41 AM

There is a lot of politics involved in these things anyway. I know of a BBC competition a few years back in which the finalists scripts were voted on by a handful of BBC producers and beeb heads of departments. The person who was announced the winner of the competition was not the person who won the vote, or even came second. They came about fifth or sixth. The person who was announced the winner alsio happened to tick a few boxes in terms of being an underrepresented minority. So don't be surprised if when this thing all shakes out the six winning writers fulfill a few quotas.

This sounds extremely unlikely. Chapter and verse?

The BBC hasn't announced how it will judge, and there's little more subjective than comedy.

It's also important to remember this is not a "who is the funniest contest,"

This is a search by a large broadcaster. With a strong structural emphasis in it's design to represent all areas of the community. Looking for new writers to enhance it's mission.

This means if there are statistically few Muslims watching BBC comedy, who would like to watch it. Then it is not unreasonable for the BBC to recruit to meet their needs.

Comedy is rather to serious, to joke about.

I guess to those entering, I'd suggest don't just go for funny. Go for flexible, and reliable as well.

Wonder if this new commission is one of the things the winners would be working on: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2008/03/27/6580/send_in_the_clones...

Dan

I dunno, but it looks like a very interesting premise. Also Ash Atalla seems like a really nice guy.

He does, doesn't he?

Just called them and they've finished production. Went well you'll be pleased to hear.

Quote: swerytd @ March 27, 2008, 12:31 PM

Wonder if this new commission is one of the things the winners would be working on: http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2008/03/27/6580/send_in_the_clones...

Dan

It's for an outside company, so unlikely I'd guess.

Hello, a newbie from writers dock here. Didn;t even know this forum existed til about 10 minutes ago.Anyway, interesting debate and an interesting idea of the Beeb's if a little 'we just can;t seem to find any genuinely funny, all encompassing sitcoms out there so we are willing to try anything'. Just a few points. Two Pints is an extremely lame and irritating show unless you are in the 14-20ish age bracket as the humour is so childish. What the Beeb needs is a new 'Only Fools' or a 'Porridge' or a 'Fawlty' but until that glorious day, we have to accept the fact that shows like My Family and two Pints are here to stay. Even gavin and Stacey, which was not bad series one, has become hit and miss and more like a series of unrelated sketches at times, rather than a sitcom.

Anyway, rant over. As for the scheme, I am umming and aahing about it. I have had a sitcom in development (sadly got blown out after months of silence when my mentor went on to do other things)and I have had sketches performed on Parsons & Naylor. Doesn;'t make me great, but then I guess I am not a beginner as they put it, either. My concern would be that even if I got anywhere near a mentor is would probably be Susan Nickson rather than Iannucci, and to be frank, I just don;t get Two Pints as I am not in the age range, and I am not sure that Ms Nickson has/can write for an audience that isn't into binge drinking, writing in text speak and happy slapping, though I may be wrong.

It just irks em that the BBC, the definitive home of British comedy, produces such a load of inane and inept comedy these days. Titty Bang Bang, Little Miss Jocelyn, My Family, Two Pints, that Omar bloke, the Iranian stand up, and that show he did - the list is a long one. What is wriong? Is it the powers that be down at White City, or just that they don;t think there are many good writers around anymore? It is as baffling as it is frustrating. I still have the Beeb's last attempt to unearth a gem on my bookshelf here....'The Last Laugh'. The irony is, that back in the day, people like Carla Lane just told the Beeb what their next project was and it got made. nowadays it seems there are committees, sub committees, script editors, script sub-editors, uncle Tom Rowley and all, involved, so that if you ever get so far as to get near getting it on the telly, the original idea has long since changed a thousand times.

I wonder is Cleese and Booth had the same bureaucratic hurdles to jump? I am sure if they had have had then that show wouldn't be the shining example it remains some 30 years after it's first broadcast. IMHO, there are too many people tinkering with comedy ideas these days and as a result, we are getting an amalgam of 20 people's input into one writer's idea and the outcome is a watered down version of the original which satisfies all the parties who had a finger in the pie, but fails to satisfy the audience, who didn't.