Curb Your Enthusiasm

I love this show, it's one of the few American sitcoms that I've really enjoyed and actually found funny. It's on Friday nights on More4, anyone watch it?

I prefer Seinfeld, but Curb...is a really good show. The Ben Stiller episode screened by More4 at the weekend had a number of laugh out loud moments. I've got the entire series on DVD and it builds to a great climax (watch out for a brief appearance by Jerry Seinfeld in the last episode).

i was really into the first 3 series of curb but i haven't enjoyed it much lately. Season 5, in particular, left me cold. I think Larry's character has changed significantly over seasons 4 and 5 and it's ruined it for me. Still, some cracking episodes - blessed aunt, crazy eyes killa, car salesman etc.

I love Curb, and prefer it to Seinfeld. I haven't seen season 5, but I've got the others on DVD - it was money well spent. There are some good bonus features too. Even the theme tune makes me smile! The Tourettes episode is a work of art.

I like Curb, but have to watch it in small doses as there is only so much I can take of Larry arguing with people and getting himself in to toe curlingly embarrassing situations. I prefer Seinfeld because George is one of the gang rather than the central character, so his obsessive nature doesn't dominate the show thanks to Kramer's eccentric behaviour, Jerry as the ring leader etc.

I do love Kramer, what a character!

I've just heard that ITV have bought the rights to the first two series of the US version of The Office.

Yep, Kramer is a great character - definitely one of the best sitcom characters of all time.

Re. the US version of The Office, I read that ITV has bought the rights for series two and three and that series two starts on ITV 2 later this month. Looking forward to it as I was impressed with what they did with the first series - they remained faithful to the original but also managed to take it in other directions. Excellent performances from all the lead actors as well.

I like Curb a lot, but wish it wasn't seen as the be all and end all of comedy. Ricky Gervais seemed to spend the entire last series of Extras trying to be Larry David, and now Jack Dee's doing it in Lead Balloon.

I love series 1 & 2 of Curb (I haven't seen any others) and the episodes here are far, far better than the pale imitations of other writers. I don't like the idea that if someone copies something, it's a homage to it. It's just unoriginal.

The crassest imitation I've seen is with Gervais. In an episode of Extras he seems to be trying to crack onto the wife of a dwarf, and ends-up having a physical altercation with him. In an episode of Curb, David seems to be trying to crack onto the wife of a wheelchair-using man, and ends-up having a physical altercation with him. Bland and unimaginative in my opinion.

Think Curb is fantastic comedy. I like things that are near the knuckle and Larry David isn't afraid to offend and push boundaries. Have yet to see Season 5 so I can't really comment on that.

Personally I prefer Seinfeld, but only just!

Yeah, Seinfeld for me too, but you're right - it's a close thing. In a way I think there's more skill in crafting something within a fairly tight structure, wheras David has a broader canvas on Curb.
Both classic, though :)

Did anyone see the episode from series 5 last night, where Larry buys the housekeeper a bra? Brilliant!

Really funny, especially Larry's noisy shoes and the look on his face at the end of the episode when he finds money under his pillow.

Also really enjoyed the previous episode with the racist dog.

Quote: Thomps74 @ October 30, 2006, 4:52 PM

Really funny, especially Larry's noisy shoes and the look on his face at the end of the episode

My screensaver is a picture of Larry David with that look on his face!

Did anyone see last night's episode on More4. One of the funniest episodes of this latest series.

"These big vagina ladies are getting away with murder." Brilliant.