Favourite cartoon strips/cartoonists

I couldn't find a similar thread so thought I'd start one on cartoon strips and cartoonists, having seen Gerald Scarfe still at it on the referendum coverage and noticing there are cartoonists on this site. Would love to have been able to draw, had many ideas that suited cartoon strips, ah well. Know it's an extremely competitive profession anyway.

A thread for your favourites, insights from experts on best cartoons and cartoonists especially welcome as it's a craft I know little about.

There are tons I've really enjoyed over the decades but would say my own top favourites have been by Bill Tidy. He creates such great little stories which are parodies of British life and his drawings are wonderful sketchy looking things.

Yours?

I'm pretty fond of Glen Baxter - his captions almost always make me smile/laugh, and his pictures are usually fun too.

I used to enjoy Giles at X-mas when I was a boy, and definetly Dudly D Watkins Our Wullie.

Larry (usually in Private Eye)

Me like um Little Plum. Very politically um incorrect.

Rudimentary Wisdom is a lost gem as well.

Mac in the Daily Mail "Bleep bleep racist alert"
Was quite funny

Probably wrong thread but I loved Brian Bollands illustrations in the Judge Dredd cartoon

Enjoyed 'This Life' by Rick Brookes which doesn't seem to be still being published.

Also Faith, Hope And Sue which could be quite cutting. I think that was in the Express for a while but my enjoyment of the strip wasn't quite enough to persuade me to buy the whole paper.

Quote: Will Cam @ 25th June 2016, 10:14 PM BST

I used to enjoy Giles at X-mas when I was a boy,

I used to know Carl quite well, and you always knew which pubs he frequented as they would have one of his cartoons on the wall.

However, my fave would be Gary Larson.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 26th June 2016, 10:05 AM BST

I used to know Carl quite well, and you always knew which pubs he frequented as they would have one of his cartoons on the wall.

New thread where you go around photographing these pictures?

It might involve visiting some pubs?

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 26th June 2016, 10:14 AM BST

New thread where you go around photographing these pictures?

It might involve visiting some pubs?

I'm referring to about the 70s and I doubt many of those pubs are now standing or are private houses...........and I don't drink anymore. Angelic

We've some marvellous political cartoonists in Britain - Steve Bell, Dave Brown, Peter Brookes, Morten Morland, Christian Adams - also great gag cartoonists like Banx, Grizelda, Robert Thompson, Matt...
My favourite strip cartoonist is Kate Beaton, a Canadian. www.harkavagrant.com Witty and quirky.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 26th June 2016, 12:00 AM BST

Probably wrong thread but I loved Brian Bollands illustrations in the Judge Dredd cartoon

Simon Bisley was always my favourite.
Maybe it is the wrong thread, but there was some very funny stuff in 2000AD.

Quote: beaky @ 26th June 2016, 10:31 AM BST

We've some marvellous political cartoonists in Britain - Steve Bell, Dave Brown, Peter Brookes, Morten Morland, Christian Adams - also great gag cartoonists like Banx, Gizelda, Robert Thompson, Matt...

What do you think of that Andrew Birch chap?

Quote: Nogget @ 26th June 2016, 11:04 AM BST

Simon Bisley was always my favourite.
Maybe it is the wrong thread, but there was some very funny stuff in 2000AD.

What do you think of that Andrew Birch chap?

He's all right in small doses... ;)

He's tree-mendous.

(Groans)