Greatest sitcom of all time?

For me, Fawlty Towers is the greatest Sitcom of all time. Porridge is a close second but the entire cast from start to finish just bounce off each other so brilliantly that it makes for amazing TV

Also Basil Fawlty is surely one of the best comic creations that has ever existed and his reactions to Polly, Manuel and Sybil are one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Even after watching every episode 25 times I still laugh even now.

In your opinion what's the greatest sitcom ever and why?

This is a debate that is unwinnable. However, I would agree that Fawlty probably is the 'best' sitcom, though it's not my favourite by any means. I would certainly put One Foot in the Grave up there as a contender as well.

Similar thread here, https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/30334#P1079571 you'll find that many think OFAH and FT are N1s.
For me it's Red Dwarf.
As for international com series, then Lexx first 8 episodes are above or aside all usual stuff IMO. Not only because it's Sci-Fi.

I have my favourite sitcom which is Red Dwarf but the greatest sitcom from a more critical perspective would be Blackadder.

I could say the say the same with Bottom and Fawlty Towers, respectfully if my mood is swayed. It's all relative and subjective however.

I nominate, in alphabetical order:
'Allo 'Allo!
Bless This House
George & Mildred

Hancock's Half Hour and Hancock.

British

TV - Only Fools and Horses
Radio - Hancock's Half Hour

.....and lots of other great ones.

Most of the best ones are British.

America

American Black and White - Bilko
US Colour 20th Century - Cheers
US 21st Century - Big Bang Theory

If we're making nominations then I'd throw; Only Fools And Horses, One Foot In The Grave, Porridge and Dad's Army into the mix along with Blackadder and Fawlty Towers, that I mentioned in an earlier post.

Yes, Dad's Army too, and US - Bilko and Big Bang Theory

Have you seen that episode of 'Fawlty Towers' where Manuel misunderstands and Basil gets like really annoyed with him?
'Fawlty Towers' is probably the most perfect sitcom, but for laughs I still rate 'The Young Ones', though it isn't a trad sitcom. Never got into 'Only Foals and Horses' but I'm in the minority there.

Quote: Michael Monkhouse @ 24th November 2015, 8:25 AM GMT

Never got into 'Only Foals and Horses' but I'm in the minority there.

I'm with you there. It is OK, but certainly nowhere in my Top Ten.

I'm surprised Frasier hasn't been mentioned, the enduring classic and in many ways, the ultimate expression of the pre-Office 'old' style of sitcom.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 24th November 2015, 9:11 AM GMT

I'm with you there. It is OK, but certainly nowhere in my Top Ten.

It's odd because when I was a kid, I loved it and it was the best show no matter what. When I grew up and I had a better understanding of the field and my comedy spectrum had expanded, OFAH had became something of a nostalgia pick more than anything else.

For me it's one of those rare times when something is mainstream popular but is also pretty decent as well.

I'd say the American The Office.

Interesting comments... I'm a huge fan of 'The Office' but was surprised it was so popular. It struck me more as a cult favourite without the obvious commercial appeal of OFAH.