Old cars in sitcoms; why?

In recent weeks, I've seen a TR7 in "The Detectorists", an ancient Metro in "Together", and, um, at least one other example which I've forgotten (anyone?). Why is the BBC using such old vehicles?

They were made by British Leyland, a once popular British corporation which experienced difficulties in the face of more modern competition. Is there a parallel here with the Beeb itself?

Not sure of the answer but the TR7 in Detectorists works, it's a good prop for a nerdy hobbyist and emphasises the love of old relics etc. Maybe the other examples are coincidences. It certainly won't be because of cheapness for Beeb to use. Hiring a good quality semi vintage car would be dearer than hiring a new one, especially TRs as they expensive to get parts for spot on renovation.

Not a sitcom I know, but I've noticed that on the Celebrity Antiques Road Trip each "star" has a 50s/60s/70s car to drive, which must a nightmare for insurance, especially when you see a 92 year old Nicholas Parsons driving a classic open top Mercedes sports job.

Makes me wonder where they get them from too, as they are always different models each time.

Basil Fawlty apparently owned an Austin 1100, Nurse Gladys Emmanuel drove a Morris Minor 1000 2-door.

Maybe they think it's a good, quick, visual way to give a character a bit of personality. Give them a cool old car.

Or in the case of Basil Fawlty, just an old car.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 21st November 2015, 12:16 PM GMT

Or in the case of Basil Fawlty, just an old car.

Or rather, a fairly contemporary car in an old sitcom.

Quote: zooo @ 21st November 2015, 10:34 AM GMT

Maybe they think it's a good, quick, visual way to give a character a bit of personality. Give them a cool old car.

This.

Quote: Nogget @ 21st November 2015, 8:31 AM GMT

In recent weeks, I've seen a TR7 in "The Detectorists", an ancient Metro in "Together", and, um, at least one other example which I've forgotten (anyone?). Why is the BBC using such old vehicles?

They were made by British Leyland, a once popular British corporation which experienced difficulties in the face of more modern competition. Is there a parallel here with the Beeb itself?

Laughing out loud

Neither programme, of course, was actually made by the BBC. And the Metro featured in Together can also be seen in Keith Lemon's Back T'Future Tribute.

I'm glad that's all cleared up then. There's nothing wrong with a little nostalgia in my book.

I do however, doubt we will be seeing many Vauxhall Zafiras enhancing future productions in twenty or thirty years time.

Oddly enough I've come across at least three or four TR7s in recent years all sitting in drives and in a right old state. One had turned green from sitting under a tree and least one other was turning green.

The fact a sitcom character has restored one or bought a restored one shows him to be not quite sound of mind. Even a pristine TR7 will cause the owner problems and won't drive very well. Even when it first appeared it was thought of as a cheesy wannabe Lotus which just didn't quite get the look right. AFAIK it was the model that killed off Triumph as a car maker. But yes I look it now with a sense of nostalgia as I do a Ford Capri. I assume that's what compelled the detectorist to buy one.

My father had a TR3 when I was a child in the early 70s. I remember that a college student drive past in it and my father flagged him down and bought it on the spot. I guess it was because he'd had one while he was in college himself.

I think it's the only British car that I've ever ridden in.

Oops, just remembered that an old girlfriend had a Jag.

As we are discussing old cars.... When I was 20 I bought my first car. (late 70's)
A VW Sirocco. The only car I have owned that I truly loved.
There wasn't a day went by when I didn't polish or clean or cosset it.
I was so sad the day I had to sell it but it wasn't a family car - and I now had a family.

It was such a head turner in it's day

My first car, a 1951 Ford Consul Mk.1 EOTA type, which I sprayed pillar box red (it was black) and noticing that it was slightly different from other Consuls, I wrote to Ford at the time and it turns out that there were only 400 of these ones made, so it was quite rare, even then.

How I wish I had it now - what would it be worth.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 21st November 2015, 9:29 AM GMT

Not a sitcom I know, but I've noticed that on the Celebrity Antiques Road Trip each "star" has a 50s/60s/70s car to drive, which must a nightmare for insurance, especially when you see a 92 year old Nicholas Parsons driving a classic open top Mercedes sports job.

Makes me wonder where they get them from too, as they are always different models each time.

They ask vintage car clubs if anyone would like to rent their pride&joy to them for a pittance.

I think that all members like me of lotuselan.net forum said "not on your nelly" or words to that effect.

Keeping a classic for 40 plus years or renovating a barn-find costs a fortune in time & money (mostly time) and so I suspect most owners don't let anyone else drive them anyway.

AS for the sitcoms, they are possibly just trying to captue the original "Avengers" feel.

Steed had a prewar big car (Bentley?) and Emma Peel had a Lotus Elan and Tara King had a Lotus Elan Plus 2. Of course at that time those Lotuses (Lotii) were top-of the range current sports cars.

My first car was a 1978 Chevrolet Nova like this one. Who had the bright idea of putting vinyl roofs on cars?

I'm a 1960s car fanatic.

Everything from the Anglia to the Zephyr and Zodiac and cars that weren't even Fords.

Like the Bond and the Messerschmitt.