60s references in Monty Python

Apart from the odd pair of flairs and a spoof on the Krays there's not much to show that Python was first broadcast in the 1960s. What do you think?

References to Cyril Connolly (then a leading literary critic) and Jean Paul Sartre (philosopher) rather put the show in its time. And doubtless other examples I can't immediately remember. What dates Python is the expectation that the audience will understand cultural references that would be impossible to make now.

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ 20th November 2015, 7:32 PM GMT

References to Cyril Connolly (then a leading literary critic) and Jean Paul Sartre (philosopher) rather put the show in its time. And doubtless other examples I can't immediately remember. What dates Python is the expectation that the audience will understand cultural references that would be impossible to make now.

I remember that Derek Nimmo dubbed Michael Palin. I supposed that it looked to the Thirties/Forties and the Victorians, a bit like the spoofs in Round The Horne.

I don't think it's dated badly comedically, as the style has been copied so much over the years.
Their topical references (sensibly) were few & far between.
They won't stand the test of time as well as say the Beatles
But few comedies will, I still love Bilko, but it's from a world that I no longer relate to.
Time moves on.
That's why Fawlty Towers is no longer Britain's favurite sitcom & Only Fools & Horses holds that crown for the time being

Haven't mentioned The Bishop yet, a spoof on The Saint. Strange to think the parrot sketch was 60s.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 21st November 2015, 8:09 AM GMT

Haven't mentioned The Bishop yet, a spoof on The Saint. Strange to think the parrot sketch was 60s.

THE BISHOP!

Were you expecting the Bishop?

Quote: Aaron @ 21st November 2015, 6:24 PM GMT

THE BISHOP!

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 20th November 2015, 4:27 PM GMT

Apart from the odd pair of flairs and a spoof on the Krays there's not much to show that Python was first broadcast in the 1960s. What do you think?

When I first saw Python aged about 13, I think I understood most of the references. Two exceptions spring to mind, though:

1) The reversed Wesker type affair where the playwright wants to become a coal miner, that was completely lost on me.

2) The jokes where people driving hearses can hear clocks ticking, someone told me that was a ref to a contemporary advert about how quiet a certain motor was.

To be honest, it's surprising how few dated gags and refs there are.

I was a great fan of Python and loved them at the time but have not watched one for a few years.

However some topical reference I can think of would be:

Whicker's Island (most young people today would have no idea who Alan Whicker was)

I seem to remember a sketch where two of the old ladies (pepperpots) were treating John Cleese like a young child "whose a clever little boy then" and he says he has to go and make a speech in the house about Rhodesia (which is now Zimbabwe).

P.S. Actually a search on the web shows Rhodesia was mentioned a couple of times in Python.

And while I can't remember them all there were often reference to people alive and in the news at the time (Reginald Maudling - a politician is one but there were many others).

I will have a think......

I seem to remember a sketch where two of the old ladies (pepperpots) were treating John Cleese like a young child "whose a clever little boy then"

Great sketch. :D

Quote: gappy @ 23rd November 2015, 1:31 PM GMT

When I first saw Python aged about 13, I think I understood most of the references. Two exceptions spring to mind, though:

1) The reversed Wesker type affair where the playwright wants to become a coal miner, that was completely lost on me.

Surely that's just a reverse aspirational gag. Anyone working down a mine would rather have a job as a Playwright.

Yes, the place is alive with quills, Chaps!

Quote: Guilbert @ 7th January 2016, 8:06 PM GMT

Whicker's Island (most young people today would have no idea who Alan Whicker was)

And one day Harry Enfield's Clarkson Island will mean nothing
:(

I don't suppose you'd get away with Mrs Niggerbaiter these days.

Quote: Guilbert @ 7th January 2016, 8:06 PM GMT

Not necessarily 60s though?