Josh - Series 1 Page 2

The plot didn't work as there was no twist. Everything played out entirely as expected.

What Josh was worried about: Josh is worried about going to a pool party. He can't swim and thinks he will be teased and will get an allergic reaction to the chlorine.

What happened: Josh goes to a pool party. He can't swim and is teased and gets an allergic reaction to the chlorine.

Quote: TonyT @ 12th November 2015, 2:42 PM GMT

I'm outnumbered here then. I actually thought it was quite good.

+ 1

I liked its laid-backness.

Maybe because I was knackered when I watched it. Not really sure. I do generally prefer stuff that's understated though.

Ok slightly off topic, but can I just ask is anyone else kind of annoyed how NEPOTISTIC comedy seems to be at the moment?! And it is PROVING it in this sitcom! I know that Josh and Elis are mates....which is fair enough I guess - but I didn't realise that Beattie was Jennifer Saunder's daughter too!! It just seems that the only people doing well in comedy and TV in general are always related to famous people, and it does kind of block people with "no connections" out - and the chances are they are way more talented! Hope other people agree :)

It's certainly true that comedy is pretty insular at the moment, and commissioners and producers seem to be actively avoiding even semi-tested writing talent, never mind newcomers; but Beattie has been part of two very successful sketch groups on the live circuit for years now, so has more than earned comedy chops of her own.

Anyway - welcome, Georgi! :)

I'm sure I didn't make this up - the announcement over the credits of the last episode of 'Together' did claim that this was directed by Steve Coogan did it not?
False advertising or mere/sheer incompetence?

To Georgie - I saw and Josh and Elis in a sketch show together in 2009 called Superclump, I think they've known each other ages. I've been watching Beattie at Edinburgh with sketch groups like Ladygarden and Birthday Girls for years, she's great. I saw Elis on that Channel 5 Wright Stuff show yesterday. He said that Beattie asked Jennifer for any advice on people to play her mum because they couldn't find anyone, at which point she offered! Kind of fair enough I suppose.

A small handful of laughs from me but overall pretty uninteresting.

I liked some of the references, as I'm guessing I'm about the same age as Josh, so it certainly felt aimed at me in some ways but for the main, it was weak like watching an amateur comedy stage play.

I thought this second episode was an improvement. Still concerned about the American-style sub-plotting, though. I'd prefer it if they took one subject and explored its comic potential over half an hour.

It's Josh Widdicombe surrounded by actors. Drawing attention to such a fact breaks the illusion and the show. If it was a tongue-in-cheek studio audience sitcom, like Not Going Out, it might have had a chance.

Why is everyone so horrible to him? What has he done wrong?

Dreadful. Better than Fried, but then again everything is better than Fried. Even Brotherhood.

Quote: Millsy @ 23rd November 2015, 4:19 PM GMT

Dreadful. Better than Fried, but then again everything is better than Fried. Even Brotherhood.

I have nothing against Josh, I think he's a good comedian and I like him in a general sense but he's just not a great actor, especially as a lead.

Quote: Millsy @ 23rd November 2015, 4:19 PM GMT

Josh is sort of a professional victim, especially on panel shows. Jokes at his expense exceed his own jokes in both number and quality.

It's worth pointing out, I think, that Josh Widdicombe is my favourite comedian (alongside Michael McIntyre). I've seen his DVD three times now and each time I've been rolling around laughing breathlessly. Truly a wonderful performance. His delivery and material are great.

The problems with his sitcom can be fixed by modelling itself more on the Not Going Out structure. In that, Lee and Tim get need to stop something happening or achieve something: situation, meet comedy.

We came close to this in the 2nd episode of Josh when he was on the pavement with Lily, didn't want to go home and yet was about to be caught by his friends who were walking towards him. That moment had a kind of comedic excitement that all good farces have.

So get rid of the American-style sub-plotting and make it one cohesive plot.

Quote: Dave @ 24th November 2015, 2:22 PM GMT

So get rid of the American-style sub-plotting and make it one cohesive plot.

You do know that Shakespeare had subplots? As does nearly every sitcom (with the exception of programmes like Car Share or Early Doors). Nothing Yankie about it at all.

The Americans take it to a different level, though. Shows like The Big Bang Theory divide their episode in two so a plot only really runs for about nine minutes. Only Fools, Rising Damp, Porridge, Fawlty Towers, The Likely Lads etc all take a situation and explore it for 30 minutes.

Josh's third episode suffered from it particularly, showing Kate being bored in the flat. There was no story to tell there at all. I found the whole thing unwatchable which is a shame as I feel Widdicombe is talented in his stand-up.