Windows 10 Page 2

Quote: billwill @ 3rd September 2015, 8:17 PM BST

But you have to do an upgrade-in-place first so that your copy of Win 10 is activated free.

After that you can save your data off the computer e.g an external drive, then do a clean install then get your data back and any extra programs that you had installed.

Thanks Bill, will have a whirl when I've more time.

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ 3rd September 2015, 8:15 PM BST

Aah.. I get it. Anyone who disagrees with 'consensus' doesn't know what they're talking about.

By that I mean people who spend their life dissecting operating systems as a career, as opposed to random people who base their entire view of it on the fact that it didn't work on their mate's laptop.

Plural of anecdote not being data and that.

I don't like Roy Orbison, but that doesn't mean Roy Orbison is shit.

Bill's answer is a bit too technical for me.

I'm still being urged to update and computer "Experts" have told me that this isn't a problem any more.

So what is the latest news n this?

No matter the operating system or version thereof, some people have problems. All you can do is try it and hope you're not one of them.

For what it's worth, I've had no issues with Windows 10 and have upgraded both my desktop and two laptops to it.

I do find Firefox (beta version) is a little temperamental now I have Win 10.

Strumpet

I updated 8 days ago. I hated their browser and it was causing me problems (apart from the fact I didn't like its layout) - everything kept freezing and I'd have to restart the computer. Somebody told me to unpin it and use Explorer of which there was no sign. When I tried to download it, I was told that it was already there, so I hunted around till I found it and now all is well. Apart from that, my main problem is finding things but time will sort that out.

I seriously suggest that you get hold of one of the many books that are around (often in magazine racks in W H Smiths etc) about how to use Windows 10.

It could save you a lot of frustration.

Quote: billwill @ 24th March 2016, 2:42 PM GMT

I seriously suggest that you get hold of one of the many books that are around (often in magazine racks in W H Smiths etc) about how to use Windows 10.

Mr. K bought me one for 8.1 and it's still lying here, unread! Laughing out loud
I have this mad idea that things should just work when I start using them, without me having to spend 3 years of my life reading manuals.

Windows 10 actually downloads to your PC whether you agree to it or not. Something to do with some Windows update which automatically downloads such things, I forget the specifics of it. It lurks in a hidden folder on your hard drive waiting for you to agree to the install.

It's a little sneaky, but Microsoft are determined to get everyone on the same OS. You can delete it - as I have - but it's a fiddly process to be honest.

I haven't upgraded simply because I'm happy with Windows 7. There were a few security concerns with it in the initial stages, most due to Microsoft taking advantage of users' bandwidth but I believe it's all been quiet recently.

Quote: keewik @ 24th March 2016, 4:31 PM GMT

Mr. K bought me one for 8.1 and it's still lying here, unread! Laughing out loud
I have this mad idea that things should just work when I start using them, without me having to spend 3 years of my life reading manuals.

That's not how technology works... On getting a driving licence I bet you did not just get in a car and think that "things should just work when I start using them".

And it isn't 3 YEARS to read such a book, more like 3 hours to read through and absorb and then an occasional 3 minute refresher read for items at some time in the future.

Why buy an expensive machine if you don't use it properly?

Which magazine should we get? Pleased

Quote: Lee @ 25th March 2016, 1:36 PM GMT

Which magazine should we get? Pleased

I didn't mean a magazine as such, WHSmiths has some booklets A4 size, usually in the magazine racks, priced typically around £10. Usually they are collected/edited articles from magazines by the same publisher.

They exist for many subjects so you look for one with Windows 10 in the title.

There are also a number of ordinary books around with titles like "Windows 10 for beginners", Windows 10 for Dummies, Windows 10 for Seniors" etc.

The way to select a book is to scan through it in the store, select one for which you already understand a third to half of the content and don't understand/know-about the other part. That way you will get a book at your 'correct' knowledge level.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But if you are already fairly experienced and just want a magazine with tips & tricks, I recommend "Computer Active".

I ignored this one for years as it looks trashy, but in fact the blokes who write it do seem to know their stuff where Win 10 is concerned, so I took out a subscription to it, myself.

On the stands it costs £1.99 every fortnight.

You don't seriously expect me to read a manual do you? It doesn't make sense when I try to read it anyway.

Quote: billwill @ 25th March 2016, 1:31 PM GMT

That's not how technology works... On getting a driving licence I bet you did not just get in a car and think that "things should just work when I start using them".

When I learned to drive I don't think I read the Highway Code. That's why I failed it first time.

And when it comes to how the car works I only read the relevant part when something goes wrong.

You don't have to know HOW it works, but you do need to know how to find the relevant controls.

>You don't seriously expect me to read a manual do you? It doesn't make sense when I try to read it anyway.

I refer the Hon Gentleman to my sentence above:
The way to select a book is to scan through it in the store, select one for which you already understand a third to half of the content and don't understand/know-about the other part. That way you will get a book at your 'correct' knowledge level.

My Dad used to buy Computer Active! I don't think he ever learned anything or what he did is now outdated. True story.