Wimbledon 2015

So, after years of campaigning to have equal championship winnings (awarded in 2007) despite playing fewer games (3 sets to the men's 5), the women now also get a 10 minute "heat break" denied to the men.

Why don't they just come on and play one game only and be done with it.

Summat wrong somewhere. Angry

Sorry, I'm only dreaming.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2015, 2:44 PM BST

So, after years of campaigning to have equal championship winnings (awarded in 2007) despite playing fewer games (3 sets to the men's 5), the women now also get a 10 minute "heat break" denied to the men.

Why don't they just come on and play one game only and be done with it.

Summat wrong somewhere. Angry

The women and the men have different unions. The women's one managed to negotiate to get the breaks. The men's didn't.

Unions for millionaires, how necessary.

Quote: zooo @ 30th June 2015, 3:14 PM BST

The women and the men have different unions. The women's one managed to negotiate to get the breaks. The men's didn't.

"Showing a little leg" didn't work out that well for the men's negotiator.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th June 2015, 2:56 PM BST

Enough already! Let our Brit win it again. If he loses he's a Scot by the way. :P

Quote: zooo @ 30th June 2015, 3:14 PM BST

OK, but make them play 5 sets. Only fair!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2015, 4:18 PM BST

OK, but make them play 5 sets. Only fair!

They did that many years ago. The final of the WTA Finals was played best of five.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WTA_Tour_Championships

But they changed the modus in 1999. For the best I think because I remember those 4 or 5 set matches not being very attractive. The women seemed tired after 2 or 3 sets.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th June 2015, 6:14 PM BST

The women seemed tired after 2 or 3 sets.

Oh Diddums!! They want the same money, they put in the same effort.

So much for equality. Angry

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 30th June 2015, 2:56 PM BST

I didn't know Jimmy Carr won Wimbledon

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 30th June 2015, 6:52 PM BST

Oh Diddums!! They want the same money, they put in the same effort.

So much for equality. Angry

Leave them alone Herc. They're delicate flowers who should be cherished.

Hehe. I really thought that was a photoshopped pic of Jimmy.

Yeah, bloody women. Say they want to be equal but don't even piss standing up! What a load of bullshit.

Sports prize money isn't something that's paid by the hour! Otherwise cricketers would deserve a lot more than footballers. I assume Herc you are having a snit about that inequality too. It wouldn't be something you're only directing at women...

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 30th June 2015, 7:19 PM BST

Leave them alone Herc. They're delicate flowers who should be cherished.

Well, except maybe this one

Perhaps an acquired taste but I think she's gorgeous. I like a girl with forearms like Popeye.

Quote: zooo @ 30th June 2015, 7:22 PM BST

Yeah, bloody women. Say they want to be equal but don't even piss standing up! What a load of bullshit.

Sports prize money isn't something that's paid by the hour! Otherwise cricketers would deserve a lot more than footballers. I assume Herc you are having a snit about that inequality too. It wouldn't be something you're only directing at women...

I'm with you Zooo (despite me just having perved at a lady tennis player).

Quote: zooo @ 30th June 2015, 7:22 PM BST

I'll snit on anyone's doorstep. :P

I do not see the point of comparing the pay of totally different sports, and let me quote this from Feminspire:-

Even Britain's Heather Watson has expressed her understanding that men have it tougher at Wimbledon. Although men and women undoubtedly put in the same number of grueling training hours, it is understandable that we can't expect equal pay without equal play. It's just difficult to understand why the discussion is about pay at all; shouldn't we be encouraging five set matches for women as well? There is no evidence to suggest we are physically incapable of this. Women play a full ninety minutes of football, a full eighty minutes of rugby, a full seventy minutes of field hockey, and run a full 26-mile marathon. And Serena Williams could probably floor Gilles Simon.

I stand by what I said. Equal winnings should equal effort.

Why not just reduce the men's game to 3 sets and get this pile of shit over much quicker?

Shoo the five.

I think that's what The Man said.

Several interpretations.

Some more palatable than others.

Anyhow, make it seven.

Or nine. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI

I think they should stop Wimbledon full stop, stupid game.
Also the rules to breaks and amount of sets and prize should apply to both men and women.

Strumpet