Why do you like going to comedy gigs?

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in learning why people go to watch live stand-up comedy gigs. Currently I'm trying to write a PhD on the topic.

So, I would like to ask, why do you like going to watch stand-up comedy? What is the experience like for you, and what keeps you coming back?

If you would like to share your thoughts on this, it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Scott

I sincerely hope you haven't got a grant for this Ph.D.

If I thought for one single solitary second that taxpayers' money was being poured into research like that, I'd be rolling barrels of gunpowder into the House of Commons' cellars and typing this reply between journeys.

Surely, you're having a laugh and seeing just how many people take the question seriously and actually tell you why they like going to comedy gigs?

I don't really. It's too much like you're expected to laugh. I'd much rather see a live band.

stop being a big meanie Roodie.

I go to watch standup because I am a comedy fan and I like laughing in the company of others. A shared audience laugh is always more intense and fulfilling than sat at home watching a DVD etc.

Bit embarrassing but I used to really fancy one of the regular acts at the night near me!

It wasn't Jim Bowen was it?

I'm a big comedy fan and I love a good stand up show, but I have to say I really don't get anything extra from seeing it live (as opposed to seeing in on DVD).

But I'm the same with music. I can't stand going to see live music, too loud, I can't relax properly.

I think these are more social problems I have instead of criticisms of live performance.

After studying drama and the performing arts at various levels for 5 years, the conclusion I came to was that Plays are shit, even the good ones.

Scott, I hope you are going to stick around and join in the forum. We have lots people who ask a question, then never post again.

At least he hasn't 'stumbled' across something funny on the internet he wants to share with us.

I go to comedy gigs/ watch them on TV because it feels good to have a laugh. I also like that it often just relies on the skill of a person rather than other visual / tech tricks like a singer who might use autotune for example. However that doesn't mean I only like comedy that is a person standing on empty stage with just a mic. Some of my favourite gigs I've been to have used Projections and props etc. Just that I think with comedy it still relies on skill even when using those things.

....this probably makes no sense.

I'm reminded of "Trigger happy TV" when Dom Joly did a stand-up routine to a live audience I think at the Edinburgh Festival.

He started off by describing his day so far.
The audience were bursting into laughter at his every sentence. After about 5 or more minutes of this, they started to realise he wasn't actually saying anything funny.

Gradually the laughter faded, then eventually the heckling started.

Conclusion, People don't have to hear anything funny, they just have to be told it is.

It all rather smells of "The Emperor's new clothes" to me.

Second conclusion. People are stupid, especially the general public.

Quote: Maurice Mynah @ 23rd June 2015, 1:28 PM BST

People are stupid, especially the general public.

The greatest truth in comedy: every audience is (collectively) thick.

It's the spontaneity of live performances that has the edge. Comedy needs surprise, and a live act delivers more surprise. You just need to see someone like Frank Skinner bounce jokes off the audience to appreciate that. You can also share the experience with the friends - if you all fall about to the same joke, it's bonding. So Comedy Fan Scott (PhD) what's your view ?

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

For me, I like the uncertainty involved. You never really know what you're going to see. I think it is hard for a comedian to reproduce the same act night after night to different audiences because so much depends on the audience reaction. Whether the audience laughs/heckles/stays quiet can dramatically change the performance as a whole. You could go to see the same show on different nights and have very different experiences. Of course this isn't always a good thing. I've come out of a few gigs thinking I have wasted my money on a ticket. Maybe this uncertainty is why some people prefer going to watch stand-up than plays or bands where the performance is more in the performer's control.

I also resonate with feeling the expectation to laugh. Recently I went to a gig, and afterwards I felt like I had worked harder than the comedians. I was relieved to get out in honestly. It was a semi-pro comedy night with 5 comedians doing a bit each. We (the 10 audience members) were all forcibly sat on the front row so that the comedians could look each of us in the eye. There was a real pressure to look engaged and to laugh. As has been mentioned, there is a certain collectiveness in sitting in an audience, but I didn't feel it that night. Could've been because there was only a relatively small audience.

I tend to go to smaller stand-up gigs (around 50-200 capacity) rather than bigger theatre or stadium shows. Generally these are lower-level pro, semi-pro or amateur affairs.

Quote: Mary Kitman @ 24th June 2015, 10:39 AM BST

I don't really. It's too much like you're expected to laugh. I'd much rather see a live band.

;)