Animated comedy

Anybody here a fan of animated comedies? Any fans of South Park? Robot Chicken? There must be some love out there for The Simpsons, right???

I'm a big kid; I love cartoons. I just got through my first re-watch in about 5 years of "Beavis And Butthead Do America". I'm a fully grown man and this still cracks me up. Is there something wrong with me?!?!

Share the love for animated comedy below!

Bromwell High was fantastic.

I'm a big fan, in fact as a student I had a weekly strip (cartoon) in a local rag. Sadly it doesn't pay well in this country unless you work for The Sun, America is a far bigger market.

But I find the new ideas and more stylistic work often comes from outside of America. The Simpsons, Family Guy, King of the Hill all look and feel very similar to me. Admittedly South Park and Beavis and But head stood out. But Viz and Wallace and Gromit are one of a kind. France also has a strong tradition of cartooning going back to the 19th century. Japan has a distinctive style for fantasy cartoon. Have you spotted anything new that's good ?

Also my 9 year old tells me all his mates like Family Guy - why is that funny to kids ?

Kids love Family Guy because it's ridiculous and silly, and doesn't dwell on anything for too long. All the asides and everything, even in long scenes. Very easy for their short attention spans to follow.

I kind of hate Family Guy. It just feels so mean spirited and a bit souless somehow. I love South Park.

Quote: Nick Nockerty @ 31st May 2015, 3:57 PM BST

Have you spotted anything new that's good?

Ha ha! Not really. That's partly what I was hoping for from this thread! It's a few years old, but 'Archer' is pretty funny, and it's got its own style of animation that's pretty cool.

Family Guy and American Dad are brilliant but I get pissed off when they seem to repeat the same ones. There must be some I haven't seen.

Crapston Villas and Stressed Eric were good - as is Meet the Newmans.

Family Guy for me.

Quote: zooo @ 31st May 2015, 4:29 PM BST

I kind of hate Family Guy. It just feels so mean spirited and a bit souless somehow.

That is because you are a lady. Angelic

Hah. I just don't like that the dad clearly hates his own daughter. It's horrible! None of them like each other one tiny bit.

South Park takes the piss out of everyone, and Cartman's a complete arsehole, but all the familes and friends love each other. So it's not depressing as hell, like Family Guy.

Does anyone watch Adventure Time?

Quote: Will Cam @ 31st May 2015, 10:17 PM BST

That is because you are a lady. Angelic

Well I'm not a lady and I agree with Zooo.

Family Guy can be very funny, but when they pick a celebrity and just do a mean spirited joke about their appearance, it makes me not want to watch. It makes it feel like it's made by bullies.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 1st June 2015, 12:32 AM BST

Family Guy can be very funny, but when they pick a celebrity and just do a mean spirited joke about their appearance, it makes me not want to watch. It makes it feel like it's made by bullies.

*nods furiously*

I did like the animated version of the Ricky Gervais Show podcasts.

Also, Monkey Dust was brilliant. Only series one available on DVD. Boo!

If we can include childhood nostalgia, Dangermouse and Count Duckula. Love Looney Tunes as well.

In Family Guy's defence, Stewie and Brian are in love with each other.

I do like the old man who fancies the teenage boy. His song nearly made me cry. :D