What We Do In The Shadows

Anybody seen 'What We Do In The Shadows'?

It's a very funny film, from Jemaine Clement of 'Flight Of The Concords' fame. It's very much in the same vein as 'Flight...', the same style of comedy, but the vampire plot allows for more random silliness (same vein... vampires... get it?). I was never a huge fan of 'Flight...', but 'What We Do In The Shadows' is really funny.

I recommend it!

Same! I never liked 'Flight...', either, but really enjoyed this!

Yeah, I kind of got what they were going for with "Flight...", but I just didn't feel like it payed off too often. It was as if (and I'm sure I heard the comparison beforw) they were going for Mighty Boosh style surrealism, without being too surreal. They vampires here allowed for the opportunity to just do something pretty silly.

Caught the TV spinoff of this on BBC2 on Sunday and really enjoyed it. It's always a pleasure to see Matt Berry. And I'd forgotten Kayvan Novak existed, he was ubiquitous about ten years ago but then fizzled away, so nice to see him back.

I was sad that Jemaine wasn't in the TV show, but Matt Berry's always great.

I do sort of miss the film cast, but I guess they're all too big now for TV (although having said that Jermaine has popped up in Legion and Divorce on TV).

I especially miss Rhys Darby as leader of the werewolves ("We're werewolves, not swearwolves.")

Oh yes, Rhys Darby should be in everything. He turned up in an old X Files the other day, as some kind of magical lizard man. Very odd episode.

Quote: zooo @ 28th May 2019, 2:32 PM

Oh yes, Rhys Darby should be in everything. He turned up in an old X Files the other day, as some kind of magical lizard man. Very odd episode.

He's great in Taika Waititi's "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" as Psycho Sam, which was on Film 4 not too long ago .

Big fan of the movie, "What We Do in the Shadows". Seen the first double bill of the TV version and seems promising, with a good cast. Natasia Demetriou is a nice addition.

Talking about the TV series, this is tremendously funny and original stuff.

I say "original" because, although horror-based comedy is far from rare, I've never seen it done as well as this. The monsters are playing it absolutely straight and deadpan while simultaneously being wonderfully funny. That's not easy to write and it's not easy to perform.

Having said that, I'm not sure Natasia Demetriou is actually acting: I think she might really be a creature of the night.

Some of the dialogue is just sublime!

A BAFTA awaits, surely?

I adore Flight of the Concord songs, although their comedy does rely on recurring themes. I see they went for an open relationships in 2014 and slept with other writers. Brett did Muppets most wanted. My boys are all grown up now. Is it me or did Shaun of the dead encourage more comedy horror movies like Zombieland and presumably this one ?

The TV shows is on BBC iplayer but can't find the movie on Netflix.

I'm a huge fan of films that take place largely at night - After Hours, Collateral, The Double - so one of the small pleasures of this show is that most episodes take place entirely during the night (except obviously for some bits featuring the Mind Vampire).

Brilliant movie
And I thought I recognised the name of one of the lead actors
He played that Kiwi guy that looked like rocks in Thor Ragnarok & Avengers endgame

It was nice to see Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi in one of the episodes on Sunday. I loved the tribunal featuring actors who'd played vampires in TV and film (Tilda Swinton, Danny Trejo, Paul Reubens, Evan Rachel Wood and Wesley Snipes). Pity they couldn't have got Lost Boy Kiefer Sutherland, mind.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 12th June 2019, 3:52 PM

Brilliant movie
And I thought I recognised the name of one of the lead actors
He played that Kiwi guy that looked like rocks in Thor Ragnarok & Avengers endgame

I didn't realized he voiced the rock monster. Great character. I'd happily watch a spin-off movie about him.