General Election 2015 Page 7

Quote: Oldrocker @ 15th April 2015, 11:26 PM BST

Well I know which one I'm voting for.

Quote: Chappers @ 15th April 2015, 11:28 PM BST

Well I know which one I'm voting for.

Must be Nigel Farage as Norman Lamont is now in the Lords.

Don't any of you men fancy wee Nicola?

Quote: keewik @ 19th April 2015, 11:18 PM BST

Don't any of you men fancy wee Nicola?

Evil little witch!

Quote: Chappers @ 19th April 2015, 11:47 PM BST

Evil little witch!

If for no other reason . . .

I'd probably leave the country if Ed Miliband becomes PM. Dangeous, dangerous politics.

Wave

:D

I don't want any of them to run the country. :)

Quote: Aaron @ 20th April 2015, 12:28 AM BST

I'd probably leave the country if Ed Miliband becomes PM. Dangeous, dangerous politics.

You didn't leave last time. Empty posturing.

It's always a surprise when you find out intelligent people are right wing. Like meeting a scientist who believes the Lamb of God has taken away his sins.

An interesting number of rants about various things, none of which actually say very much. (I'll let you decide whether I'm talking about the politicians or this thread. :) )

As I see it the choice is, as ever, left or right.

With the left, the people get nice things at the cost of the country.
With the right, the country improves at the cost of the people in it.

It's Tory or Labour. Nobody else will win or even actually wants to win.
Voting for Libs, Greens, UKIP or any of the other small minority parties is much the same as an abstention, a waste of a vote, a waste of the very democracy we claim to value.
Vote red or blue, but do vote, and vote for a party that CAN get in.

Quote: Maurice Mynah @ 20th April 2015, 10:21 AM BST

An interesting number of rants about various things, none of which actually say very much. (I'll let you decide whether I'm talking about the politicians or this thread. :) )

Voting for Libs, Greens, UKIP or any of the other small minority parties is much the same as an abstention, a waste of a vote, a waste of the very democracy we claim to value.

Is there a Wankers Party? .........Ah, they are all in it. In that case you can have my ballot paper 'cos I won't be wasting my time using it.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 20th April 2015, 1:43 AM BST

You didn't leave last time. Empty posturing.

Last time, a party of hope and positive progress got into government. :)

Quote: Maurice Mynah @ 20th April 2015, 10:21 AM BST

Not sure if it's just a question of right or left.
Clearly things are changing. Political allegiances are fracturing.
The universal ideologies of left and right just aren't that all-encompassing anymore.

Personally, my main political interest lies in freedom of expression, state surveillance, civil rights and the worry about increasing censoriousness and prohibition of just about everything during the steady creep of authoritarianism.
In that regard, who's better? The left or the right? Labour or Tory? Recent history would suggest they're each as bad as one another.

And before anyone mentions the LibDems, they abandoned the 'Great Repeal Act', despite it being part of the coalition agreement. It was a much greater betrayal of the country than the tuition fees issue, but the media found the latter the easier sell.

So, looking at the current situation, who do I vote for? It seems a choice between Scylla and Charybdis.

All parties concerned appear only interested in locking up ever more people, inventing ever more offences and banning ever more stuff. All for our own good, of course.

After the past twenty years, I have reached the point where, frankly, I don't know which way to vote, because I cannot see either side being any better than the other.

Right now the Tories are making fewer prohibitive noises. But they did so last time. And then let Theresa May loose on us all.

So yes, if your beef is with benefits or taxes, it's right or left.
But if it's liberties? Hmm.
'Eeny, meeny, miny, moe....'

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 20th April 2015, 12:10 PM BST

Personally, my main political interest lies in freedom of expression, state surveillance, civil rights and the worry about increasing censoriousness and prohibition of just about everything during the steady creep of authoritarianism.

This.

Personally, I find that - whilst still miles away from where I'd like them to be - the Conservatives are offering the closest to libertarian policies. Both socially and economically.

By contrast, the papers over the weekend were reporting on Miliband's plans to centralise yet more power direct No 10. Reading it reminded me of the consolidation of power Hitler made shortly after he gained office.