General Election 2015 Page 6

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 14th April 2015, 12:34 AM BST

Right-ho,

I see, it's a draw between Brussels and the evil City of London as to who is destroying democracy.
Well, I see it from a slightly different angle.

Remember Blair's credit card sized list of easy pledges in 97? I do.
Half a dozen or so nifty policies.

In 13 years of Labour government following that landslide victory, our friends then introduced 4500 new offences. (it's an official figure)
I guess they just couldn't fit all that onto their pledge card, poor chaps, and hence reluctantly needed to keep us in the dark.

This is hardly a party political view of mine. The other side has continued on as maniacally as did Blair's boys.

But telling the voters about five or six things you intend to do, then set about introducing 1500 or so measures in a parliamentary term might just be seen as a little deceitful.

The public is being given a handful of irrelevant headline policies to determine their choices. Thereafter the motherlode of things to be done by Whitehall bears little to no resemblance to the issues upon which the election was fought.

One might say that we may as well draw the winners by lot and then just let them do as they wish. It seems to be the modus operandi.

The only other option is to wait for them to introduce what they promised, then to storm parliament with guns and ask them to quietly vacate the premises before they set about doing anything else.

But at that rate, governments would last about a week or two.
Mind you, that might be a good thing.

And who knows? Perhaps the future belongs to the 'We'll-leave-things-as-they-are-Party'.
If anything, they would make for an interesting coalition partner. :)

This would seem the ideal party for you . . . had they any candidates that is.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/levellers.htm

Quote: A Horseradish @ 14th April 2015, 12:36 AM BST

You are determined to encourage that ten page essay from me aren't you! :)

The option to wait for them to introduce what they promised, then to storm parliament with guns and ask them to quietly vacate the premises before they set about doing anything else. I recognise it as it has a precedent. Ukraine. It will, of course, require a significant American presence on St Stephen's Green. Innocuous looking women - who in actuality are married to geopolitical strategists and have huge power themselves - handing out bread rolls to skinheads and unwashed students from a basket. The Dutch setting up a television station on the night before urging utter mayhem in the name of democracy. Those formerly known as Blairites will be very much in evidence as will the Miliband faction, Unite, all Lib Dems except Charlie Kennedy, most Conservative MPs, and several wayward Greens. I predict "the expansionist" Jack Straw will be the one wielding the mace from outside. Well, why not?

I am indeed very much counting on successfully provoking you into providing a minimum 10-page manifesto sooner or later.

Yes, I see how one could detect a parallel to events in Ukraine.
(oh sod it; in THE Ukraine!)
But then we need wars. The more of them we've got on the go, the more likely that the Beeb seize on a chance to revive 'Bluestone 42' for Aaron. ;)

As for Jacky Straw; did you realise how the man's glasses kept getting smaller and rounder over the years? No doubt, he thought it desirable to look sterner and tougher, as he continued on as Home Secretary.
But to some of us, smaller, rounder glasses just seemed to suggest an ever increasing resemblance to Heinrich Himmler.
Perhaps it was just me. :P

By the way, I like the image of wives of geopolitical strategists handing out bread rolls to skin heads. Now that would have been a revolution for Delacroix to paint!

But who knows, perhaps we'll get just such a thing in May, in slightly different form.

Nigel Farage and Boris serving Bovril to the innumerable hordes of Respect campaigners, camped outside the Palace of Westminster.
Cameron appearing on the balcony of Buck House, trying and failing to silence the masses in an unwitting reenactment of the fall of Ceaucescu.
Ed Miliband and his front bench in a deadly shootout with his brother Dave, backed up by a posse of renegade Blairites.

All the while the leader of the Monster Raving Loonies announcing a coalition government with a Dutch television station.

It could happen! Teary

Anyhow - on the number of regulations introduced by "New Labour", extreme liberalism and fascism aren't polar opposites. They are two sides of the same coin. Just ask the clinically obese how they are enjoying their apparent freedom to binge. Most will say they find Government is like a steamroller. It's survival of the fittest stuff. Help yourself. There - you've only got yourselves to blame. Now clear off.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 14th April 2015, 1:10 AM BST

I am indeed very much counting on successfully provoking you into providing a minimum 10-page manifesto sooner or later.

Yes, I see how one could detect a parallel to events in Ukraine.
(oh sod it; in THE Ukraine!)
But then we need wars. The more of them we've got on the go, the more likely that the Beeb seize on a chance to revive 'Bluestone 42' for Aaron. ;)

As for Jacky Straw; did you realise how the man's glasses kept getting smaller and rounder over the years? No doubt, he thought it desirable to look sterner and tougher, as he continued on as Home Secretary.
But to some of us, smaller, rounder glasses just seemed to suggest an ever increasing resemblance to Heinrich Himmler.
Perhaps it was just me. :P

By the way, I like the image of wives of geopolitical strategists handing out bread rolls to skin heads. Now that would have been a revolution for Delacroix to paint!

But who knows, perhaps we'll get just such a thing in May, in slightly different form.

Nigel Farage and Boris serving Bovril to the innumerable hordes of Respect campaigners, camped outside the Palace of Westminster.
Cameron appearing on the balcony of Buck House, trying and failing to silence the masses in an unwitting reenactment of the fall of Ceaucescu.
Ed Miliband and his front bench in a deadly shootout with his brother Dave, backed up by a posse of renegade Blairites.

All the while the leader of the Monster Raving Loonies announcing a coalition government with a Dutch television station.

It could happen! Teary

Are you OK? I mean, you don't want me to phone anybody do you?

Quote: Oldrocker @ 14th April 2015, 1:16 AM BST

Are you OK? I mean, you don't want me to phone anybody do you?

No, I'm quite alright. Thank you.
The Lemsip is now kicking in.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 14th April 2015, 1:20 AM BST

No, I'm quite alright. Thank you.
The Lemsip is now kicking in.

Laughing out loud

The Assistant Secretary of State for European and Eurasian Affairs at the US Department of State:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbjNJbjEy04

and Hubby, renowned author, "Of Paradise and Power: America and Europe in the New World Order":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kagan

"A key pledge will be the extension of right-to-buy, a flagship policy of Margaret Thatcher's government, to people living in housing association accommodation.

The Conservatives say every house purchased will be replaced "on a one-for-one basis".

Absolute and utter total bollocks.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 14th April 2015, 9:51 PM BST

"A key pledge will be the extension of right-to-buy, a flagship policy of Margaret Thatcher's government, to people living in housing association accommodation.

The Conservatives say every house purchased will be replaced "on a one-for-one basis".

Absolute and utter total bollocks.

You mean to say you doubt the truthfulness of that statement?
Oh, you cynic, you. ;)

Well that's all rather confusing. I think I'll just colour in my postal vote with my new set of crayons.

Quote: Loopey @ 15th April 2015, 5:22 PM BST

Well that's all rather confusing. I think I'll just colour in my postal vote with my new set of crayons.

Ah yes, but which colour to use?
Red, blue, orange, green or purple?

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 15th April 2015, 5:49 PM BST

All of them
Rolling eyes

Quote: Loopey @ 15th April 2015, 5:54 PM BST

All of them
Rolling eyes

I didn't know there was a gay pride party.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 15th April 2015, 5:59 PM BST

I didn't know there was a gay pride party.

All foreign policy - whether to start a nuclear war etc - is now decided on the basis of other countries' gay rights policy. Oh and I guess fracking potential. Hence we are increasingly heading for mutual armageddon with Russia vis a vis Ukraine while ISIS is, hell, what? It's not a proper country, is it, so it hardly matters who they crucify. And anyhow they don't discriminate in that way so that bit's cool.

Quote: Gussie Fink Nottle @ 15th April 2015, 5:49 PM BST

I can sing a rainbow...

or

Joseph's Coat of many colours?