Family Feuds

Has anyone ever fallen out with a close family member?
And why was it all their fault?

No, life's too short.

I don't understand these people who say things like "My brother and I haven't spoken for 50 years". Fair enough if you don't get along, some people just don't but when it's over a silly falling out? I just can't get my head around it.

I never understood it either and never thought it would happen to me
But last time I offered my hand to my brother his girlfriend said we don't want to talk to you & they stormed off with she who shall not be named carrying his balls behind her

Shame though, I do miss him quite a bit
She on the other hand is a complete {MOVED TO SHOWCASE}
Or so I've heard

We have a sister as well, and he doesn't speak to her either these days so I don't blame myself too much

But families can fall out all too easily & often over nothing at all

Worse than that
Chelsea

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 28th February 2015, 3:06 AM GMT

But families can fall out all too easily & often over nothing at all

Yes indeed. I haven't fallen out with family, but my teenage daughters don't talk to each other, their auntie didn't talk to her mum for 3 years, and my brother didn't talk to our dad ever. It seems that all it takes is something minutely small, and then the 'not talking' becomes a habit which is hard to climb down from without losing face. Once someone stops talking, it's hard to get out of that rut, so maintaining dialogue is important.
Sorry I don't have a solution for you Steve, but if you keep trying to renew the conversation, at least it makes their rut less comfortable to stay stuck in.

In my street the was a gas blast at number 12. The couple who live there were blown through the window into the street. Its the first time they've been out together in 20 years.....

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 28th February 2015, 2:47 AM GMT

I never understood it either and never thought it would happen to me
But last time I offered my hand to my brother his girlfriend said we don't want to talk to you & they stormed off with she who shall not be named carrying his balls behind her

Shame though, I do miss him quite a bit
She on the other hand is a complete {MOVED TO SHOWCASE}
Or so I've heard

That's horrid, hard to imagine anyone disliking you.

Well unless they hate oneliners.

The 'huffers' are usually the losers. You learn to do without them. Won't bore you with the details, but due to something that happened in my childhood, I learned to live without extended family. Glad it happened as basically I've nothing in common with them, though I am in contact nowadays.

I just don't really like my sister and her husband so I don't have anything much to do with them.

I accumulated a coach load of brothers and sisters in my teens and twenties as I didn't have any. Most of them have drifted although some hung around for a very long time. Decades literally. And yes there was an argumentative quality to many of the arrangements but some of that reality was dimmed by my insistence on viewing everything as harmonious. Contrary to all the evidence from those who actually had siblings, we were always in my mind a a clan, a congregation and a crowd. I managed to half-persuade other people that this was essentially right on occasions. And when it happened, they sort of rose out of their sourness.

In the workplace, none of it was carried across in serious dealings. There I was a combination of (i) a very caring parent to what I assumed were very appreciative junior staff - mostly they knew they were on to a good thing and (ii) a junior school child in relation to bosses whose ways upset me hugely for most of the time. What I didn't get was that most of what takes place there - and the way that everything is run - is essentially based on the nastier end of real sibling rivalry. I wasn't really designed for any of it. Much more recently, I have noted that there were elements of that sort of thing even in my own once often idealised parents. Hope this isn't too brief or simplistic but I haven't got time right now to discuss my imaginary friend.

Brief or simplistic? I suppose by your standards.....

Quote: Chappers @ 28th February 2015, 10:52 PM GMT

Brief or simplistic? I suppose by your standards.....

Good.

I'm improving. :D

Quote: A Horseradish @ 28th February 2015, 10:48 PM GMT

I accumulated a coach load of brothers and sisters in my teens and twenties as I didn't have any.

Where from a white slave trader?

Quote: sootyj @ 28th February 2015, 10:57 PM GMT

Where from a white slave trader?

Laughing out loud

If you are interested to know more about the process, some help could be provided.

I would be content to send you a copy of my not insubstantial pamphlet on request.