Did Sky lose their enthusiasm for comedy?

A couple of years ago Sky became a haven for creative comedy minds, commissioning a ton of inventive and highly praised comedy programmes. Most of them went under the radar as far as the general public is concerned, not only because it was on Sky, but also due to their decision to show most of it on secondary channels like Sky Arts and Sky Living, where even less people would watch. Nevertheless, the programmes themselves were mostly rather good.

Now it seems to me that Sky no longer has the appetite for comedy. Sure, they keep on recommissioning exceedingly broad and barely funny Trollied, and Moone Boy (which I didn't enjoy at first, but it won me over) also got a third series. Consistently good Psychobitches also deserves a mention (unless they choose not to stick with it after series 2).

But on the other hand, Sky pulled the plug on both Mr. Sloane and Trying Again, and the wording of the statement regarding the former seemingly suggests a potential change of course. Spy is also over. Nothing came out of the Love Matters series of pilots. Common Ground, which looked to me like another series of pilots in disguise, wasn't developed into anything either. And, last but not least, I don't remember anything else of note being announced in the last few months.

Is Sky's "comedy high" officially over? It'd be a darn shame if it is.

I think you've answered your own question by stating that most of Sky's Comedy shows "went under the radar as far as the general public is concerned"

There were some good shows but for whatever reason people weren't watching, hardly going to keep the focus on comedy if it wasn't bringing in the viewers.

Sadly though I feel this is a reflection of the times, if a show is a ratings draw almost from the start then it gets cancelled. Gone are the days when a show got a few series to attract an audience, yes Only Fools & Horses I am looking at you.

I really wanted to see some of them but because I haven't got Sky and have no intention of doing so I won't get a chance.

I visited Sky's West London HQ a few years back with some colleagues and they seemed to be throwing big bucks at drama and the launch of their 3D TV system. I note that Lucy Lumsden is/was their head of comedy and if my memory serves me right, she was an appointment from the BBC. I too enjoyed Mr Sloane and Trying Again and wish they'd recommission both instead of investing in their comedy dramas.

Quote: Chappers @ 12th February 2015, 10:02 PM GMT

I really wanted to see some of them but because I haven't got Sky and have no intention of doing so I won't get a chance.

All the above-mentioned shows can be streamed online for free (if you're ok with watching illegally uploaded material). It won't save any of the shows, but at least more people get to enjoy them.

Quote: bloopergast @ 13th February 2015, 5:04 PM GMT

All the above-mentioned shows can be streamed online for free (if you're ok with watching illegally uploaded material). It won't save any of the shows, but at least more people get to enjoy them.

That's pretty much what I have to do, but I always buy the DVDs of programmes I enjoyed.

I don't have Sky and never have done. Two or three years ago, a lot of people were singing the praises of Sky Arts etc. Some had a virulent anti BBC agenda. Others, in fairness, didn't. Some of the programmes in the schedule looked quite good. But I am acutely aware of how inventive and diverse commercial radio was in its first decade in London and how all of that was rapidly chucked as soon as budgets and lcd audience ratings became the priority. Television is different but it is probably not hugely different. I don't think it can be organised structurally on the basis that pure market forces will deliver quality and range in the long term.

Have never had Sky and never will. F**king Murdoch.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 13th February 2015, 8:42 PM GMT

Television is different but it is probably not hugely different.

Television has pictures.

Quote: Chappers @ 13th February 2015, 10:01 PM GMT

Television has pictures.

Thanks - and so I recently discovered. I hadn't bothered with it much for four years as it just seemed better to oscillate to the colours in sound. But ever since my GP smashed an axe through my head in the space of eight sentences, I've been finding it helps to have faces peering through the electronic corner window. They take the edge off all the cowering under woolly blankets as if anticipating nuclear war. My premonitions are generally right of course but what the hell when there are so many antiques programmes to entertain us all.

(Even on Sky I would imagine) :)

I have the basic Sky stuff through Virgin Media (Sky 1, Sky Arts). There were a few shows on Sky Atlantic I would have wanted to watch (the New Alan Partridge stuff, Hunderby, Hello Ladies, Bug and a few others).

But I don't have Atlantic (I don't rate HD so I'm not paying more to have it). So I don't get to see them. Except for Partridge, I'm not interested enough to buy the DVDs of all the missed shows.

They must account for low viewing figures when they use a channel that not many people will have?

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 14th February 2015, 11:48 AM GMT

They must account for low viewing figures when they use a channel that not many people will have?

Yes. Sky commissioners can often be heard or read talking about audience appreciation rather than viewing figures as a key factor.

I think they've settled for recommissioning successful ones (Stella, Trollied).

Quote: A Horseradish @ 13th February 2015, 10:08 PM GMT

Thanks - and so I recently discovered. I hadn't bothered with it much for four years as it just seemed better to oscillate to the colours in sound. But ever since my GP smashed an axe through my head in the space of eight sentences, I've been finding it helps to have faces peering through the electronic corner window. They take the edge off all the cowering under woolly blankets as if anticipating nuclear war. My premonitions are generally right of course but what the hell when there are so many antiques programmes to entertain us all.

(Even on Sky I would imagine) :)

I hope you are ok AH!

Quote: Marc P @ 26th March 2015, 11:42 PM GMT

I hope you are ok AH!

How kind.

It's difficult to be sure these days isn't it.

I hope you are now better than you were.

Genuinely. :D