Gary Delaney Page 2

Quote: Nick81 @ 21st April 2015, 7:39 AM BST

Morning Tony,

Similar thinking is one thing, but a word for word repeat, and it's not a short joke either. The joke is the fox in the suitcases/moving.

Afternoon. :)

Is this his joke which is based on a well known logic problem?

I'm sure you know the joke in question, Tony.

Quote: Nick81 @ 21st April 2015, 1:41 PM BST

I'm sure you know the joke in question, Tony.

I really don't, well I don't think I do.

I know Gary does a joke about writing to "Dear Dedrie" in The Sun wanting to know the answer to the logic problem with the fox, the chicken and the grain, but I'm guessing that's not it?

It's the joke revolving around a man finding a suitcase full of foxes then ringing the RSPCA, and when asked are the moving, the protagonist replies "that would explain the suitcase."

I appreciate the misunderstanding/misdirection around the moving could be done in all sorts of ways, but to use the same set up word for word was bad form. Gary is a very successful comedian and probably isn't concerned with my opinion, but I would have thought someone with his ability wouldn't need to "borrow" jokes.

Quote: Nick81 @ 21st April 2015, 2:03 PM BST

It's the joke revolving around a man finding a suitcase full of foxes then ringing the RSPCA, and when asked are the moving, the protagonist replies "that would explain the suitcase."

I appreciate the misunderstanding/misdirection around the moving could be done in all sorts of ways, but to use the same set up word for word was bad form. Gary is a very successful comedian and probably isn't concerned with my opinion, but I would have thought someone with his ability wouldn't need to "borrow" jokes.

Well, as I've not heard that joke before I can't make any comment on who originally wrote it, however a quick Google search shows variations of it going back to January 2009.

I would just say though that, in my experience, most cases of "joke theft" (within the comedy industry) are nothing of the sort, outright plagiarism is much rarer than people think (again, within the comedy industry. Outside of the business people nick stuff and never credit it properly all the bloody time).

Quote: Tony Cowards @ 21st April 2015, 4:29 PM BST

Well, as I've not heard that joke before I can't make any comment on who originally wrote it, however a quick Google search shows variations of it going back to January 2009.

I would just say though that, in my experience, most cases of "joke theft" (within the comedy industry) are nothing of the sort, outright plagiarism is much rarer than people think (again, within the comedy industry. Outside of the business people nick stuff and never credit it properly all the bloody time).

I know the guy who wrote the joke, and Gary has lifted it. But, I suppose you put jokes in the public domain then this is the risk you run.

Quote: Nick81 @ 21st April 2015, 4:57 PM BST

I know the guy who wrote the joke, and Gary has lifted it. But, I suppose you put jokes in the public domain then this is the risk you run.

When did he write it and how did he put it in the public domain?

Anyway, I have no vested interest in this, but if this guy feels that strongly about it I would suggest contacting Gary or his agent as he's a genuinely nice guy and, as I say, I would be very, very surprised if he's deliberately nicked it.

Anyone can be guilty of 'heavy influence' from another comic's material, but the more well known names will generally be given the benefit of the doubt because of their reputation/popularity.
Kind of like accusing a successful DJ of being a kiddie fiddler.

Quote: Nick81 @ 21st April 2015, 4:57 PM BST

I know the guy who wrote the joke

You might know A guy who wrote the joke but it's such a short and simple joke that several writers working independently might have written it on the same day.

Two identical word-for-word copies of 'War and Peace' are very unlikely to have been written independently but the little joke we're talking about is another matter altogether.

To complicate matters even further, the joke need not have been written by different people on the same day or even at around the same time. It might have been written 100 years ago by someone who tried it out at a gig, didn't get a laugh, and binned it. A century later, your mate thinks it up and immediately claims copyright without realising he's just nicked part of some poor sod's music-hall act.

The joke is very simple and it's (almost) ageless. I doubt even God could work out who first told it.

Gary Delaney is one of the hardest working comedians. He has just done his 242nd show on his current tour. He still has around 100 more shows to do on his current tour! There are locations which ask him back multiple times after sell out shows. There are also many people who watch his shows (on the same tour) multiple times.
You just have to see the comments on his Facebook posts from people who have been to his show. I really love his one-liners. One of the funniest under-rated comedian out there.
I got to know him through Mock The Week, Live At The Apollo and many celebrity quiz shows. He has clips of these on his TikTok channel. Very funny! He was also in a couple of horror films.
If you don't believe me, look at his Facebook and TikTok Channels.