Still Open All Hours - Series 1

Absolute drivel, cannot believe the BBC commissioned a full series. There was a couple of chuckle moments but nothing worth going mad over.

I might not bother with the rest of the series.

Quote: G180e @ 26th December 2014, 7:10 PM GMT

Absolute drivel, cannot believe the BBC commissioned a full series. There was a couple of chuckle moments but nothing worth going mad over.

I might not bother with the rest of the series.

I wouldn't call it "absolute drivel" because, as you said yourself, it had its enjoyable moments. It just wasn't hilarious...or very origininal. As in last year's special the new Granville seems to be a cross between the old Granville (about 30%) and Arkwright (70%). And they revisited old jokes (till, money-belt etc.). It felt like an hommage to the classic show, not like a new beginning.

But the cast is mostly very likeable (although the son is a bit pointless) so I'll probably give it another go.

Ummm so-so - might give it another look, but do wonder why they bothered.

I enjoyed it. I concur with Gordon Bennett's view about Granville morphing into Arkwright, complete with a stutter he hadn't displayed in earlier episodes. My laugh out loud scenes were Johnny Vegas' back issues and Granville sporting a pair of pale blue Y-Fronts was very funny indeed.

The topic is Series 1, so I ask myself will there be another after this. Will they be able to keep up the "high" standard? Even in one series.

I'd imagine that S2 will be green lit very soon. They'll keep churning them out whilst Roy Clarke's still able to roam the Yorkshire moors in a motorised tin bath.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ 26th December 2014, 8:23 PM GMT

...or very origininal...

Now I'm stuttering as well...

Nurse Gladys and Mrs Featherstone barely look any different!

Mrs Featherstone was previously aged up!

I loved this, every bit of it were fantastic. A great opener to will what be a fantastic series. Bring me MORE!

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 26th December 2014, 9:15 PM GMT

Nurse Gladys and Mrs Featherstone barely look any different!

Barely?????????

As you've clearly forgotten..............

She's looking good. I always admire men who prefer the 'well upholstered' lady. I write this as a female weighing in at 19st 3lb.

I thought it was a cracking start to the series. Thoroughly enjoyed it - although agree with the point that Leroy is somewhat underused so far.

Generally I don't like re-makes, they tend never to be as good as the original. And with this, nothing has changed. I managed just over half way before turning it off, the worst thing on all Christmas in my view (Epsiode 1 that is). No doubt I'll give it a go for the second episode.

Main worry is it will turn into another Last of the Summer Wine (same story line every week for series after series).

Anyway, Open All Hours is on GOLD in two minutes, so I'm going to watch that.

Tony

Quote: TonyT @ 28th December 2014, 10:14 AM GMT

Main worry is it will turn into another Last of the Summer Wine (same story line every week for series after series).

Well there are certainly recurring story-lines in this series so that may put you off.