Harry Hill as Professor Branestawm, Christmas Eve

I think he'll be great in the role.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04w7pd3

I loved the books when I was about 7 (although, having said that, I can't remember anything about them, except the nice illustrations of a scientist with lots of specs).

Might give this a spin, could be quite a nice Christmas Eve amusement.

Seen loads of excerpts and forgot that was him.

We're going to give it a whirl too. Harry Hill is excellent, plus he's extremely family friendly :)

Let's hope it's funnier than the trailers.

It's starting soon. Half-past eight, BBC1.

The black faces certainly stick out: I expect they serve some social comment?

I thought that was good, harmless fun. Pagwell was Wallingford, in case anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

Not bad at all.

The sort of thing that, in the 70s, I recall on tea-time kids' TV, albeit at 20-25 minutes long, not an hour. Not a criticism, as it was nice, innocent, good-hearted fun.

Any reason this was on so late (for a fun family friendly show)?

It's on again at 1.25 pm today, if anyone's interested.

Professor Branestawm bears more than a passing resemblance to Professor Heinz Wolff.

It is a very long time since I read the works of Norman Hunter. It would be interesting to know how much Charlie Higson's screenplay owed to the original stories. Not much I am guessing.

We've just watched and enjoyed it; my 7 year-old DS thought that it was funny. I think that it'll as translate to a full series. Was Wallingford also used as a Midsomer Murders location as it looked familiar?