Brian Pern: A Life In Rock

Lot of pundits raving about how funny this (spin off from Harry and Paul's Story of the Twos?):-

"Brian Pern: A Life In Rock" BBC2 Tuesday at 10pm

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/life_of_rock_brian_pern/

Not a big fan of Simon Day, but might be worth a look.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 7th December 2014, 4:12 PM GMT

Lot of pundits raving about how funny this (spin off from Harry and Paul's Story of the Twos?)

No. If you look at our guide, it's a second series, predating that and originating on BBC Four. :)

I'm looking forward to this returning

I really enjoyed S1, such a pity that it was only short. I thought that Peter Gabriel was really game for appearing in Ep3, especially as the whole concept had been ripping the piss out of him for three weeks. I'm also looking forward to S2, because I'm a fan of all of those Rockumentaries on BBC4 and on the Vintage TV channel.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 7th December 2014, 8:53 PM GMT

Peter Gabriel was really game for appearing in Ep3, especially as the whole concept had been ripping the piss out of him for three weeks.

It was part piss-take, part loving homage, I thought.

The humour is a bit too low key for my liking. Is there actually anyone under 40 who gets the references, I wonder?

This 39 year old did...

Yep, a little sleeper and very funny. Much looking forward to series 2. I think Day is an excellent comic actor, much of the best skits on The Fast Show feature his creations esp Dave Angel Eco Warrior and Competitive Dad.

A bit thin on laughs if you ask me.
Not exactly Spinal Tap is it?

Quote: Lazzard @ 10th December 2014, 9:47 AM GMT

A bit thin on laughs if you ask me.
Not exactly Spinal Tap is it?

In that case I won't bother then as I could never see what all the fuss was about over Spinal Tap.

On a different tack..........

Wass all this 'ere avatar changing then as you are not the first?

'Tis the season?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th December 2014, 12:42 PM GMT

In that case I won't bother then as I could never see what all the fuss was about over Spinal Tap.

I don't care at all for Spinal Tap, but Brian Pern is very funny indeed.

I found it funny, although it has some amazing talent in it.

Kathy Burke showing what a quality performer she is, need more of her on the telly.

The script is definitely laid back, but it's got a great sense of fun rather than razor sharped zingers.

Sometimes I guess setting and such like can be enough.

I thought that it was great: very tightly scripted indeed with some excellent performances. I enjoyed the digs aimed at rock star ego and pretention, especially as it seemingly apes those Friday night BBC4 rockumentaries. I am currently reading Mike Rutherford's autobiography, so it's especially pertinent.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 10th December 2014, 3:36 PM GMT

I thought that it was great: very tightly scripted indeed with some excellent performances. I enjoyed the digs aimed at rock star ego and pretention, especially as it seemingly apes those Friday night BBC4 rockumentaries. I am currently reading Mike Rutherford's autobiography, so it's especially pertinent.

Wouldn't pernitent be more apt? :D

Whistling nnocently

As with the previous series this is gentle, but has a cracking cast (regular and cameo) and still made me laugh out loud a good few times. Something 'Spinal Tap' never managed (sorry, it must be one of the most overrated films in history).