Potential great sitcoms that only last one series

I originally thought the very funny Toast of London would've qualified for this but as it is I'll kick things of with two other woefully ignored series that sank beneath public apathy and lack of critical attention.

Respectable. Shown on C5 in 2006 this features Justin Edwards as an ordinary bloke in a loveless marriage who visits a brothel and strikes up a platonic relationship with prozzie Jodi Albert, mostly dressed in corset and suspenders. What's not to like? :) Also very droll, esp the Serbian hooker, with attitude.

Plus One. Originally shown on C4 in 2007, this is about a bloke (Daniel Mays) whose ex is getting married to Duncan from 'Blue' (the boy band) and he needs to find someone to take along. Also features ex Eastender Nigel Harman as the brother. Very funny in an Inbetweeners/Peep Show way.

Hung (US import). They made 3 series but I think only the first ever got shown in Blighty. It follows newly homeless, divorced father Thomas Jane who ends up leading a double life as a gigolo. No prizes for getting what the title refers to.

Any others to recommend?

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. Man To Man With Dean Learner was really patchy and not really as good as its parent show. I'll put my (velvet) thinking cap for some more examples.

Not Fawlty Towers though, that had two.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 11th November 2014, 5:40 PM GMT

Garth Marenghi's Dareplace. Man To Man With Dean Learner was really patchy and not really as good as its parent show. I'll put my (velvet) thinking cap for some more examples.

I second Darkplace. One of my all time favourite shows.

Hippies. I thought it was great but for some reason it just didn't catch on.

Filthy, Rich & Catflap. I think Mayall and Elton had a minor falling out over it which stopped a second series from being considered.

Going Straight. Not sure if this counts as it's sort of Porridge series 4. As far as I'm aware there was going to be more but after Richard Beckinsale died it was decided to end it.

Are we counting american shows? If so, Police Squad. Didn't even make it half way through the first series.

Dapper Laughs. No, only kidding. This one should have been cancelled before it was even conceived.

There was a decent Sharon Horgan/Stephen Mangan sitcom a few years ago - Free Agents.

And Campus could have been great. Hope the writing team are back with a new project soon.

Freezing
Help

Quote: Aaron @ 11th November 2014, 11:49 PM GMT

Help

Oh yeah, not even a DVD release for that. Shame.

Heartburn Hotel.
Set in a run down Brummie hotel with Tim Healy as the ex army proprioter.

Quote: Thickasabrick @ 12th November 2014, 3:38 PM GMT

Heartburn Hotel.
Set in a run down Brummie hotel with Tim Healy as the ex army proprioter.

It ran for two series, though. :)

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/heartburn_hotel/

The Walshes - being repeated on BBC 2 at the moment and only 3 episodes, which is a shame as I loved it. :D

I rather liked Thieves Like Us

I was disappointed the BBC4 sitcom about rambling 'The Great Outdoors' didn't get another series. (Think everyone got too big for it!) And my wife and I both loved Emma Fryer's 'Home Time', which is a very rare thing in out house.

I'll also second 'Free Agents' above, really liked that, and is there a second series coming of 'Dead Boss'? If not why not!

Quote: StephenM @ 13th November 2014, 9:03 AM GMT

Is there a second series coming of 'Dead Boss'?

Almost certainly not

Trevor's World of Sport only lasted one season on the box, but three further excellent series followed on the wireless.

I agree with Darkplace

Human Remains (if it counts as a sitcom)

Catterick was great but obviously nobody watched it...