British Comedy Awards 2014

Nominations for this year announced: full list.

The nominations for the International Award are hardly that international are they? All the nominees are American, and half are hosted or created by Brits. You might as well have a Foreign Language Award and make all the nominees Welsh, half of which are hosted by Englishmen.

Shouldn't male and female comics be renamed male/female panel show contestants?

I suppose it depends on your interpretation, but I feel odd thinking of Matt Berry as a "breakthrough" artist.

Still, what the hell, awards are generally pointless, no use arguing about them. Whistling nnocently

Quote: gappy @ 10th November 2014, 5:27 PM GMT

Still, what the hell, awards are generally pointless, no use arguing about them. Whistling nnocently

Except for the Comedy.co.uk Awards.

Excuse for a piss-up and a lot of ego stroking. >_<

Quote: gappy @ 10th November 2014, 5:27 PM GMT

I suppose it depends on your interpretation, but I feel odd thinking of Matt Berry as a "breakthrough" artist.

Yes, that is ridiculous. I hope Nick Helm wins this one, he was surprisingly good in Uncle, and he's a lot better at this than at his gimmicky shouty stand-up.

Why are three of the "Comedy Drama" nominations sitcoms?

I think they need change some of these categories as it's not really making a lot of sense. If they're only going to recognize comedy on TV, they should rename it The British TV Comedy Awards.

Otherwise, surely there should be categories for best live stand up, best live sketch group, best radio sitcom, panel show, sketch show etc. I'm sure they used to have some of these years ago.

I don't like watching it, you see comedians on their own or in small groups they seem like a very likable bunch in general. You stick all of them in a room together with a load of booze and they turn into bitter, unfunny twats.

I don't understand how House of Fools is nominated for best sitcom but not best new programme, but Man Down is nominated for best new programme but not best sitcom.

If they are both sitcoms, and both new, surely one should be nominated in both catergories and the other not nominated at all.

Without wishing to spark the 'not enough women in comedy' debate, all the 'best TV male comic' nominations are people who are regulars on their shows, appearing every week for the whole series. All the 'best female TV comic' nominations are one shot guests on other people's shows.

What's the difference between 'best TV male/female comic' and 'best comedy entertainment personality'?

And why are the 'best TV comic' and 'best actor' catergories split into gender, but 'best entertainment personality' isn't (although all the nominations are men)?

I love Matt Berry. But how can a man with prominent roles in several different comedy shows over a 10 year period be considered a 'breakthrough artist'?

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle and The Graham Norton Show are both nominated for 'best comedy entertainment programme', but Graham Norton is nominated for 'best comedy entertainment personality' and Stewart Lee is nominated for 'best TV male comic'. If their shows are considered the same, shouldn't they individually both be in the same category?

As cwickham already pointed out, out of the 8 nominations across the 'best sitcom' and 'best comedy drama' catergories, 7 of them are sitcoms.

How is 8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown a 'comedy moment'?

A 'best internet comedy short' catergory, but no other internet catergories and no radio or live catergories. But the screening of a live theatre event (Monty Python Live) is included in the 'best sketch show' catergory with three studio based series made for TV.

Another weird category: Best Comedy Moment 2014. It's just a list of shows that are already nominated in other categories without any specific nominated moment.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 11th November 2014, 6:53 PM GMT

Without wishing to spark the 'not enough women in comedy' debate, all the 'best TV male comic' nominations are people who are regulars on their shows, appearing every week for the whole series. All the 'best female TV comic' nominations are one shot guests on other people's shows.

I think Katherine Ryan deserves a nomination for Mock the Week. Best female radio comic would go to Susan Calman.

It makes so little sense, you can't even get annoyed at your favourite being left out or something you deem not worthy being nominated.

I think they should leave it to the BCG. Now there is a comedy awards that makes sense!

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 11th November 2014, 7:33 PM GMT

It makes so little sense, you can't even get annoyed at your favourite being left out or something you deem not worthy being nominated.

I think they should leave it to the BCG. Now there is a comedy awards that makes sense!

Hear, hear!

The Best Comedy Moment category does actually relate to specific scenes - they've just not released the video clips (yet?). On the night the specific clips will be played.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 11th November 2014, 7:33 PM GMT

Yes the Comedy.co.uk Awards do exceed in some aspects. Mind you, one cannot help but feel that the vote for "Worst Comedy of the Year" this time around is going to be a bit predictable.