Hugh Dennis Page 2

Quote: Nogget @ 31st October 2014, 6:35 AM GMT

"I should have seen all the clues that he wasn't ever going to be the exciting husband I craved."

Yes you should have. You can hardly blame him for remaining the same as when you married him, if you yourself say you loved him as he was. The problem is, it was you that changed, into the sort of person who sells this kind of rubbish to the press.

To put the first Mrs Dennis' feelings into perspective, I do believe Mr D was rather dismissive of his first marriage in an interview which led the DM to find his ex-wife and pay her ££ for her side of the story.

Is this a case of mocking the weak? Just a thought.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 31st October 2014, 8:49 AM GMT

Is this a case of mocking the weak? Just a thought.

Excellent punning Sir!

I've got to say I like him were he be The Now Show, Mock the Week or in My Hero. I've got to say, I also love him in Not Going Out.

Going a bit off topic here, I wouldn't have liked him though if he'd been a direct replacement for Tim Vine. However, that series without the posh boy really helped and credit to Lee Mack for that. Maybe this would be best in a Not Going Out thread.

T

Have always been a big fan of Hugh Dennis and love the fact that despite being seen as quite a safe comic by some, he also appeared in Brass Eye.

Having sat next to Steve Punt in English, I think of him in terms of school productions. See also the lesser known Matthew Sweetapple. Hugh Dennis benefits from never having been in that context but I sometimes think of him as a Ronnie Barker wannabe. Certainly that was how he seemed to me quite early in his career.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 29th December 2014, 9:00 PM GMT

Having sat next to Steve Punt in English, I think of him in terms of school productions. See also the lesser known Matthew Sweetapple. Hugh Dennis benefits from never having been in that context but I sometimes think of him as a Ronnie Barker wannabe. Certainly that was how he seemed to me quite early in his career.

Ooh, was that in suburban Croydon? Did you end up at Cambridge with him too?

Agree about him being a Ronnie Barker wannabe, although I'd argue that the latter was a more talented actor and performer. Thinking about Mr Dennis, I may see whether there's any trace of his Canned Carrott stuff on YT.

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 30th December 2014, 10:21 AM GMT

Ooh, was that in suburban Croydon? Did you end up at Cambridge with him too?

Agree about him being a Ronnie Barker wannabe, although I'd argue that the latter was a more talented actor and performer. Thinking about Mr Dennis, I may see whether there's any trace of his Canned Carrott stuff on YT.

Yes, it was in suburban Croydon.

No, we didn't speak often, if at all, although we sat next to each other. He rarely said anything. I had an odd seven years of silence. No, I didn't go to Oxbridge. Yes, I was an oik on a free local authority eleven plus pass whose wider family lived in a council tower block - and in a number of cases were barely literate.

.......Next. :D

Quote: TheBlueNun @ 30th December 2014, 11:41 AM GMT

My husband grew up on a north London council estate. Give me a Grammar School boy over a public school one any day. Although saying that, my husband attended one of the worst comprehensives in the capital. Sigh.

I was definitely Grammar School in all but the name. Croydon didn't have any Grammar Schools so they sent a few of us to the Independents. I always sensed that Mr Punt may have arrived there in the same way but most didn't say if they did, at least not to me. It changes with the Cambridge dimension. I'd suggest that Hugh Dennis was more typically public school though not stereotypical, then they combined in a way which enabled them to be seen in the Footlights tradition. I went North to study as I wanted to experience a foreign country and found it in a grand selection of pubs. That was also when I began to talk for England.

Mr Dennis' father was a Bishop and I seem to recall from an old episode of HIGNFY that he was at school with Will Self. Agree that Punt and Dennis are a good partnership though.

I like Hugh Dennis on everything I've heard and seen of him.
Of stuff not mentioned there is the radio show Revolting People, he appears in. And another radio show The Party Line, about an M.P. starring James Fleet. That Dennis co-wrote with Steve Punt.