Hugh Dennis

He's a guy who has graced/bothered (depending on your viewpoint) our screens since the early 1990s, taking the well-worn path from the Cambridge Footlights through early stand-up, guesting on Jasper Carrott, semi cult-status* on The Mary Whitehouse Experience and so on. There doesn't appear to be a direct thread about him on here, but what are people's views on his talent? Despite having a regular team captain slot on Mock The Week and an almost permanent stewardship of The Now Show, he seems to be drifting more into an acting and presenting role these days.

Did he used to be much funnier in the past, or is it just my delusional brain playing tricks on me?

*Not as much as Newman and Baddiel did though.

For me I don't like Hugh Dennis because I find him uninteresting and when he was in Outnumbered he was dull maybe because of the kids or the type of environment he was in.In Punt and Dennis I like Punt in but not Dennis.I think that type of comedy is a bit of out of my reach really. However I find Dennis absolutely tremendous every bit of him in Mock The Week that is superb.Jokes are fun and original.Overall I think it is a bit of you love him or hate him really.

Interesting point because he was always supposed to be the 'Comedian' in the double act with Punt as his straight man. He seems to have got really bland over the past few years, perhaps he always has been?

I do like him. Was always a joy to watch in My Hero, and I thought the more amusing of the two parents in Outnumbered.

Never knew he was in My Hero.

I like him. :)

I like him as well, as well.

Quote: Gazzo @ 30th October 2014, 7:36 AM GMT

Never knew he was in My Hero.

He played a sycophantic version of Doctor Hillary Jones.

Loved him in The Mary Whitehouse Experience and love him in Outnumbered. I don't think he's bland at all, but his comedy was always a bit more tame than his peers'.

Loved The Mary Whitehouse Experience :)

I like him too, seems like a really nice bloke. He did some brilliant voices for Spitting Image too if I remember rightly.
I was in the studio audience of The Mary Whitehouse Experience and for the Punt and Dennis Show. I have to say Hugh Dennis and Steve Punt were far funnier than Newman and Baddiel both on and off camera. At the time I guess they were just more experienced. Rob Newman seemed lost and out of his depth, whatever happened to him?
I enjoy Outnumbered too.

Loads of views: thank you all. I still quite like him, especially as he's clever and tall - 6ft 4in apparently. Why that matters to me I don't know?

Quote: teenage comedy freak @ 30th October 2014, 9:45 PM GMT

I like him too, seems like a really nice bloke. He did some brilliant voices for Spitting Image too if I remember rightly.
I was in the studio audience of The Mary Whitehouse Experience and for the Punt and Dennis Show. I have to say Hugh Dennis and Steve Punt were far funnier than Newman and Baddiel both on and off camera. At the time I guess they were just more experienced. Rob Newman seemed lost and out of his depth, whatever happened to him?

Mr Newman became a staunchly political comedian to great acclaim. That's not really my bag so I gave it a swerve. I thought that he was a rather good actor though: Jarvis was inspired.

I enjoy Outnumbered too.

Me also, although the final series was a bit hit and miss.

Anyone read about his marriage? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1358656/Hugh-Dennis-boring-I-divorced-Ex-wife-reveals-ups-downs-married-Outnumbered-star.html

Quote: Gazzo @ 30th October 2014, 10:44 PM GMT

Anyone read about his marriage? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1358656/Hugh-Dennis-boring-I-divorced-Ex-wife-reveals-ups-downs-married-Outnumbered-star.html

I most certainly did at the time (not that I ever want to admit to reading The Daily Wail Online). Refusing champagne! Being called 'Desk' due to his academic diligence! Shocking stuff indeed.

"I should have seen all the clues that he wasn't ever going to be the exciting husband I craved."

Yes you should have. You can hardly blame him for remaining the same as when you married him, if you yourself say you loved him as he was. The problem is, it was you that changed, into the sort of person who sells this kind of rubbish to the press.