New Dad's Army film Page 3

Quote: A Horseradish @ 10th October 2014, 4:07 PM BST

5. In 2013, the University of Sussex received funding from the Arts Research Council for a study into a "secret army". That army was of Kent residents trained to fend off a Nazi invasion. It aimed to look at Kent's auxiliary units to the Home Guard who would have led a guerrilla war against German invaders. In a comment on the new project, researcher Sian Edwards said "the Isle of Thanet was central to London's defence".

The secret army were not the local defence volunteers. These were paid agents, the equivalent to the French Resistance, I believe. (Hence why a series about the French Resistance was called Secret Army.)

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th October 2014, 6:09 PM BST

The secret army were not the local defence volunteers. These were paid agents, the equivalent to the French Resistance, I believe. (Hence why a series about the French Resistance was called Secret Army)

The difference between "A Secret Army" and "The Secret Army"? I dunno. I wrote what was in the description of the study undertaken by Sussex University, ie "auxiliary units to the Home Guard".

Quote: A Horseradish @ 10th October 2014, 3:06 PM BST

Oh well, the base was in Thetford, so I was wrong on the first.

But your second can't be true for the early series.

East Sussex only came into being administratively during 1974. Geek

For what it's worth, I believe strongly that Walmington-on-Sea is a cross between Birchington-on-Sea and the adjoining Westgate-on-Sea. Kent - but in an insignificant corner. Not a Dover - or indeed a Newhaven.

Alright, "east Sussex" then. :P

Relatedly, the neighbouring town of Eastgate was named after Eastbourne.

Quote: Aaron @ 10th October 2014, 6:22 PM BST

Alright, "east Sussex" then. :P

Relatedly, the neighbouring town of Eastgate was named after Eastbourne.

Laughing out loud

You mean Eastgate as the "coincidental" opposite of Westgate (on-Sea, Kent)? :D

Quote: Marc P @ 9th October 2014, 5:35 PM BST

Of course originally Lowe and John LM were to play the opposite roles.

I am wondering what people think about this interesting point. Could the opposites have seemed more stereotypically suited - at least on the surface? Arguably what they did was a very clever bit of casting.

Quote: A Horseradish @ 10th October 2014, 6:24 PM BST

I am wondering what people think about this interesting point. Could the opposites have seemed more stereotypically suited - at least on the surface? Arguably what they did was a very clever bit of casting.

As I mentioned in a previous post:-

The general consensus from AL's biog that I have just finished reading, was that like Hancock, Mainwaring was Lowe and vice versa, an almost impossible act to follow I would say.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th October 2014, 6:40 PM BST

As I mentioned in a previous post:-

The general consensus from AL's biog that I have just finished reading, was that like Hancock, Mainwaring was Lowe and vice versa, an almost impossible act to follow I would say.

Yes. I get that point. Not quite sure what I meant now exactly. The supposed class backgrounds are in reverse but that is very arguably in the writing rather than the casting. Then there's the laid back nature which you might think would be more in the senior man but that's in the writing too. Perhaps a hint of what the show may have been like with reverse roles is via that one about the pier where they are in reverse?

Quote: A Horseradish @ 10th October 2014, 6:45 PM BST

Yes. I get that point. Not quite sure what I meant now exactly. The supposed class backgrounds are in reverse but that is very arguably in the writing rather than the casting. Then there's the laid back nature which you might think would be more in the senior man but that's in the writing too. Perhaps a hint of what the show may have been like with reverse roles is via that one about the pier where they are in reverse? YES

Phew! Errrr.............well they got it right, we all agree, with John Le Mez inadvertently getting one over on Mainwaring on many occasions with his "privileged" background and bursting Mainwaring's attempts to climb the social ladder.

Don't think the laid back nature was written specifically - just as Lowe was Mainwaring in real life, so too was John Le Mez as he was very, very laid back and hopeless at anything, (this was emphasised in the AL's biog.) using his vagueness where anything practical was concerned, and Joan Le Mez bore this out too in her book "Lady Don't Fall Backwards", and this the writer's capitalised on.

Reminds me of someone else I know................... Whistling nnocently

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th October 2014, 8:20 PM BST

Phew! Errrr.............well they got it right, we all agree, with John Le Mez inadvertently getting one over on Mainwaring on many occasions with his "privileged" background and bursting Mainwaring's attempts to climb the social ladder.

Don't think the laid back nature was written specifically - just as Lowe was Mainwaring in real life, so too was John Le Mez as he was very, very laid back and hopeless at anything, (this was emphasised in the AL's biog.) using his vagueness where anything practical was concerned, and Joan Le Mez bore this out too in her book "Lady Don't Fall Backwards", and this the writer's capitalised on.

Reminds me of someone else I know................... Whistling nnocently

Ivor Cutler? :)

Ivor Biggun.

Hancock?

I blame the excessive over marketing of the so called perfection enhancement drug "Don't tell him Pike", for all of this.

Quote: Chappers @ 10th October 2014, 10:25 PM BST

Hancock?

Yes, as I mentioned in a previous post:-

"The general consensus from AL's biog that I have just finished reading, was that like Hancock, Mainwaring was Lowe and vice versa, an almost impossible act to follow I would say."

But it was a bit of an in joke - Horse knows who I am talking about. :D

Quote: A Horseradish @ 10th October 2014, 6:45 PM BST

Yes. I get that point. Not quite sure what I meant now exactly. The supposed class backgrounds are in reverse but that is very arguably in the writing rather than the casting. Then there's the laid back nature which you might think would be more in the senior man but that's in the writing too. Perhaps a hint of what the show may have been like with reverse roles is via that one about the pier where they are in reverse?

More conceptual I think. LM would have been pompously of a higher class (as were all other officers in the show who guest appeared) and AL would have been the put upon middle class manager who can manage. So it was the concept and not just the casting that was reversed. In doing so they were really commentating too on the way a Word War was breaking down the established notions of class structure. For a unique look at post war restructuring of same, and it's not my favourite show, look at Are You Being Served?. It is a beautifully observed examination of that deconstruction making a model to mirror the hierarchies post and pre war in that most English of establishments the independent department store. It is genius in its apparent simplicity. Most people won't see it as such but I think the two boys, LM Croft and Walker Perry knew exactly what they were doing.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th October 2014, 5:12 PM BST

Well, not according to the seemingly very well researched biography of Arthur Lowe by Graham Lord that I have just finished reading - Page 137:-

"Clive Dunn, who was cast as the geriatric butcher Lance Corporal Jack Jones after Jack Haig turned down the part, was convinced that he was offered the role only because his Mother had once had an affair with David Croft's Father."

Oooer.........and there is no mention of David Jason anywhere in the book, but of course that doesn't mean to say that there is no truth in it; BUT David Jason was only 28 when the cast of Dad's Army was put together and Clive Dunn, who was 20 years older had been playing older men for some time on TV and in films, most notably as 'Old' Johnson in Bootsie and Snudge.

From the 100% reliable Wikipedia . . .

Jason was cast for the role of Lance-Corporal Jack Jones in the Jimmy Perry and David Croft BBC comedy Dad's Army. Croft had been very impressed with the actor and knew that he had the ability to play a man much older than his real age. However, Bill Cotton over-ruled him, casting Clive Dunn.

Also Jason made a name playing an old man later on as Blanco in Porridge . . .

Quote: ScotiaNova @ 11th October 2014, 10:41 AM BST

From the 100% reliable Wikipedia . . .
Also Jason made a name playing an old man later on as Blanco in Porridge . . .

Ummm, as you point out - the reliable Wiki, and DJ would have now been 35 when he played Blanco, and played it very well I have to say.

On balance I cannot see a 28 year old being offered the part of Jones when Jack Haig (55) or Clive Dunn (48)- at that time, who were both well known for playing old men, were clearly better suited.

Can anyone out there come up with concrete proof?