Your favourite sitcom NOW?

I don't usually watch TV... Well I don't watch TV at all, but because I am interested in writing and making "sitcoms" myself I thought I have to do research :D

What are your favourite British sitcoms currently shown on TV?

Any suggestions? I will watch all! :D :P

What will these research achieve? Sitcoms made for boxed in demographics are normally awful and formulaic in the worst way (I say that because most comedies are formulaic).

Write what YOU want to see.

But to answer your question; Siblings but only because that's the last sitcom I remember watching that I somewhat enjoyed.

Siblings was good, yes. Plebs is hilarious. Bad Education is also very funny.

I honestly can't think of a new sitcom that I like enough to want to watch every episode. The most recent one I enjoyed was Getting On. They finished making that a while ago.

At a push, Siblings is probably the best one I've seen recently, Friday Night Dinner is sometimes hilarious and sometimes very irritating (the boys).

Big School (some people will disagree I'm sure)
Trollied
Benidorm

Hard to choose modern sitcoms as most of them are absolute rubbish.

People Just Do Nothing is the only decent British sitcom I can think of that's been on in 2014.

Benidorm

Bad Education

Friday Night Dinner

If you asked me this time last year I'd have said Him & Her and Hebburn.

Currently showing sitcoms, I'm not sure...

Bad Education maybe. Workaholics I enjoy as well.

How can you want to write a sitcom without knowing what a TV sitcom actually is?

Bad Education is my current favourite British sitcom and it's been like that for a while.

Friday Night Dinner would go after that, but I agree with Doug's opinion of it beinh sometimes great and sometimes irritating.

Concerning American sitcoms, I would say Brooklyn Nine-Nine would be my current favourite.

There's also still the Big Bang Theory, but its continuously really lost it's charm in most recent seasons and episodes only showing glimpse of what it used to be.

Quote: Chappers @ 2nd October 2014, 10:06 PM BST

How can you want to write a sitcom without knowing what a TV sitcom actually is?

I'm surprised no one else (including me) picked up on that point. What on earth would make you want to write a sitcom if you don't watch any? I think you need to buy some box sets and spend about 5 years watching sitcoms before you even think about trying to write one.

And if you don't watch TV, you've probably missed some crackers. I'd start by downloading the classics, here's a list of my favourites

Father Ted
Peep Show
The Office (UK and US)
Fawlty Towers
Family Guy
American Dad
Trailer Park Boys
Mr D

And there's loads more but I can't think of any.

Friday Night Dinner all the way

Quote: Feeoree @ 2nd October 2014, 8:20 PM BST

If you asked me this time last year I'd have said Him & Her and Hebburn.

Currently showing sitcoms, I'm not sure...

Bad Education maybe. Workaholics I enjoy as well.

Ditto on Hebburn.

Bring it back!!!!! :)

Quote: Nick @ 4th October 2014, 1:43 AM BST

Friday Night Dinner all the way

I went off that when they blatantly copied a joke off the American Office - where the big dog licks his crotch