It's That Man Again

Could've sworn there was a thread on this already.

Anyway marking the 75th anniversary of it they're repeating some on Radio 4 Extra for the next few weeks at 8 o'clock on a Sunday evening.

Interesting as I've just posted a mention of the first episode on my Dad's 1939 diary.

Ah, those famous catchphrases...

"Beg pardon, Mrs Milkmaid..."

"Where's the herring?"

"I'm just standing around, waiting for a fart in a thunderstorm."

These may not be right, but I doubt anyone's old enough to have listened to it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6jRAe6CSxE

I have recently found a 5x78rpm box set of this in a job lot of DVDs I bought. Does anyone know anything about them?

Commonly made of shellac, coming in various sizes but usually 10 or 12" in diameter and fragile, and unless very rare worth diddly squat - rare to find them in with a box of DVDs more like.

And you need a record player that runs at 78 rpm if you want to play them.

As this is under this ITMA thread, are you saying that they are recordings of that show?

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 28th October 2014, 9:35 PM GMT

As this is under this ITMA thread, are you saying that they are recordings of that show?

Well, quite clearly. :)

Quote: jimmy9434 @ 28th October 2014, 8:12 PM GMT

I have recently found a 5x78rpm box set of this in a job lot of DVDs I bought. Does anyone know anything about them?

Is there a name for the box set?

Quote: Aaron @ 28th October 2014, 10:16 PM GMT

Well, quite clearly. :)

Don't begrudge me my OCD checking :( - you of all people know about posts on wrong threads........ ;)

I'm sure they'll be of value to someone - and they'd probably pay a bit.

Got this one ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/78-RPM-BBC-VARIETY-ORCHESTRA-itma-signature-tunethe-british-grenadiers-10-WS-/301371928201?pt=UK_Records&hash=item462b2aae89

Quote: Oldrocker @ 30th October 2014, 1:12 AM GMT

Got this one ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/78-RPM-BBC-VARIETY-ORCHESTRA-itma-signature-tunethe-british-grenadiers-10-WS-/301371928201?pt=UK_Records&hash=item462b2aae89

If that sells at that price I'll eat my hat.

Okay, proper catchphrases include:

"This is funf speaking."
"I don't mind if I do."
"I'll have to ask me dad."

More well known ones include "don't forget the diver", "I go, I come back" and "Can I do you now sir?" said by Mrs Mopp, God save her.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 30th October 2014, 11:55 AM GMT

Okay, proper catchphrases include:

"This is funf speaking."
"I don't mind if I do."
"I'll have to ask me dad."

More well known ones include "don't forget the diver", "I go, I come back" and "Can I do you now sir?" said by Mrs Mopp, God save her.

I realise in ITMA it was a cleaning lady saying it to Tommy Handley but I've often wondered if the "Can I do you now sir?" had the same connotation as when Max Miller used it - such as this:-

Comes on to sing a song with the band

"Look, I'll tell you what I'll do tonight - I'll do two choruses of Rambling Rose with the boys and then I'll do Sally by meself."

Much hilarity ensues, with noticeable shrieks from the ladies in the audience.

Do in the first case means to "do for"-that is, clean. Do in the second case is to sing. The innuendo is the same, Herc.

Quote: Paul Wimsett @ 10th November 2014, 5:56 PM GMT

Do in the first case means to "do for"-that is, clean. Do in the second case is to sing. The innuendo is the same, Herc.

Yes, I understand what each "do" means, that is quite clear but given the period and the fact that it was a family show I don't think there was any double meaning in the ITMA instance, whereas everyone knew exactly what Max meant.

No, I think "do you now" was a common phrase.