Roy Hudd

I'm surprised there isn't a thread specifically for Roy although I started one a few years ago about one of his shows that I'd totally forgotten about.

I think he's a naturally funny person. I've just read his autobiography "A Fart in a Collander" which was great.

He learned his craft in the forces and as a Butlins Red coat, worked hard at stage shows and pantomimes until he got the breaks on TV and radio.

He also produced the long running show "The News Huddlines" which apparently was one of the first to use unsolicited scripts.

(Waits to be proven wrong.)

Agree about RH being naturally funny - he always comes across well when interviewed as a talking head during various comedy documentaries. He's also crazy about music hall and has been very active in keeping Wilton's in East London open to the public.

My mum used to attend the recordings of The News Huddlines with a colleague and was always impressed at the sheer professionalism. An interesting point about accepting unsolicited scripts, something which must be pretty much unknown nowadays!

It's because by his own admission he's funny looking.

I put him in the same league as Bob Monkhouse.

A wealth of knowledge that, when he's gone, can never be replaced.

Great bloke.

Can do no wrong in my book. A naturally funny man - love him!

It is two years ago today that Roy Hudd left us for the great Music Hall in the sky. This is him as Max Miller at the 1980 Royal Variety Performance:

"The Roy Huddlines" - a celebration of the life and comedy of Roy Hudd at the Sondheim Theatre, Shaftesbury Avenue, Sunday 14 May 2023. With Chris Emmett, Nichola McAuliffe, Alison Steadman and Jon Culshaw.

https://www.delfontmackintosh.co.uk/whats-on/the-roy-huddlines

In aid of the Roy Hudd statue appeal https://www.theroyhuddstatueappeal.co.uk/welcome-from-the-missus-1

Good God, is Chris Emmett still alive? Very funny man

Off to the Sondheim Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue tomorrow to celebrate the life and comedy of Roy Hudd (see two posts up) - in aid of the appeal to erect a statue outside the Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 10th February 2023, 3:01 PM

Good God, is Chris Emmett still alive? Very funny man

Not only alive but currently King Rat, so it was mentioned at the show yesterday.

Quote: Billy Bunter @ 15th May 2023, 10:17 AM

Not only alive but currently King Rat, so it was mentioned at the show yesterday.

Shame he wasn't there, but at 84 perhaps he's ill or whatever, which would be a shame, as he's one of those unsung heroes of comedy - very good in the Huddlines.

The main thing is, did you enjoy yourself?

Oh he was there alright. Along with Alison Steadman, Jon Culshaw and others. Plus of course Debbie Hudd. Yes, very enjoyable. They did a couple of topical "Huddlines". A packed theatre (mostly of a certain age) and a good two and a half hours' worth. Hopefully that statue will be appearing outside the Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds ere long.