BCG Fantasy Premier League 2014/15 Page 25

Quote: Splodge @ 15th November 2014, 1:01 PM GMT

Feel free to make a rash decision right now, Steve.

For the good of the game.

Don't worry rash is my middle name, but I think they gave that to me because of my Psoriasis to be honest.

Hey where's Donald
Hope he's ok.

Quote: Ben @ 15th November 2014, 8:44 PM GMT

I can't wait to get rid of Kaboul.

I've only just got rid of Ulloa. He'll probably start scoring goals now.

Right
Time to have a look at me Peaches & Cream (Team)
To see who I should Judy Dench (bench)
Or if I need to go into the Morten Harket (Transfer market)

Yet another rubbish week.

I completely forgot about sorting my team until about 12.30 yesterday and it was too late then. Meant I kept Fabregas in though which was good. Just a shame that Di Maria fluffed his chance for a goal. Might swap Berahinho out next week. I think his moment has come and gone for now.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 10th November 2014, 12:21 AM GMT

Dan seems to know a bit about the game - I'd be interested in why he's able to get maximum bonus points as the defender in a conceding team.

Last season the revised bonus system favoured defenders to the detriment of the game overall but they still haven't got it right. A penalty should not be worth as much as a goal from open play.

You also shouldn't get -2pts for missing it. A more logical system would be two points for scoring it, 0pts for missing and a -2pts off the tally of the player who gave it away.
Baines isn't a natural left back and should be reclassified as a midfielder.

I didn't realise The Scout did a breakdown of bonus points every week and exactly why people get what they got! http://fantasy.premierleague.com/the-scout/review/11/

Re: Baines the other week:
"Everton defender Leighton Baines struck from the penalty spot in the second half to give the visitors a share of the spoils at the Stadium of Light. The England international finished the match with a passing accuracy of 95%, while also contributing with three key passes, two dribbles and an open play cross."

Dan

Must remember to do transfers tomorrow. Not sober enough at present.

I haven't touched a drop for 2 months
Hasn't helped my decision making one jot

Quote: swerytd @ 11th November 2014, 1:41 PM GMT

from http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/ if you expand the 'Scoring' section and scroll to bottom:

How is the BPS score calculated?

Players score BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

Action BPS
Playing 1 to 60 minutes: 3
Playing over 60 minutes: 6
Goalkeepers and defenders scoring a goal: 12
Midfielders scoring a goal: 18
Forwards scoring a goal: 24
Assists: 9
Goalkeepers and defenders keeping a clean sheet: 12
Saving a penalty: 15
Save: 1
Open play cross: 1
Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score): 3
For every 3 clearances, blocks and interceptions (total): 1
For every 3 recoveries: 1
Key pass: 1
Successful tackle (net*): 1
Successful dribble: 1
Scoring the goal that wins a match: 3
70 to 79% pass completion (at least 30 passes made): 3
80 to 89% pass completion (at least 30 passes made): 6
90%+ pass completion (at least 30 passes made): 9
Conceding a penalty: -3
Missing a penalty: -6
Yellow card: -3
Red card: -9
Own goal: -6
Missing a big chance: -3
Making an error which leads to a goal: -3
Making an error which leads to an attempt at goal: -1
Being tackled: -1
Conceding a foul: -1
Being caught offside: -1
Shot off target: -1

*Net successful tackles is the total of all successful tackles minus any unsuccessful tackles. Players will not be awarded negative BPS points for this statistic.

Data is supplied by Opta and once it has been marked as final will not be changed. We will not enter into discussion around any of the statistics used to calculate this score for any individual match.

Baines got 32 BPS this week. So, as far as I can tell, he got:
Playing 1 to 60 minutes: 3
Playing over 60 minutes: 6
Goalkeepers and defenders scoring a goal: 12

So, he's already got 21 points before I can figure out what else he got, assuming he gets a few for the amount of crosses he's put in (open play cross are 1pt a time).

Interestingly, this means there are two points systems going on: the one we're interested in, and the one that sets up the bonus points. Does seem to be biased to the forwards IMO, as look as the amount a striker gets for scoring a goal (24 points) and they basically don't have to do anything else, whereas your defenders are running around like blue-arsed flies blocking, clearing, intercepting, recovering, tackling, not making errors, getting booked or sent off to get to the same BPS points total!

In fact, a sub striker who comes on in injury time, has a single touch where someone's shot hit him on the arse and went in gets 24 points minimum and does f**k all the rest of the time, gets more points than someone who runs the game for 90 minutes (9 points), scores a single goal (24 points) but hits the post or bar 10 times in a game (-10) -- assuming none of them is a 'big chance' (-3 points each) -- leaving him 23 points!

So, in the words of Mark Zuckerburg, 'It's Complicated'...

Dan

Thanks for that Dan, I appreciate your efforts.

Obviously that might explain some unlikely-seeming decisions but it still seems suspect. I've seen Mata and Coutinho literally drive games from start to finish and not get a sniff of a point.

Quote: Ben @ 23rd November 2014, 8:00 PM GMT

I completely forgot about sorting my team until about 12.30 yesterday and it was too late then. Meant I kept Fabregas in though which was good. Just a shame that Di Maria fluffed his chance for a goal. Might swap Berahinho out next week. I think his moment has come and gone for now.

This is what makes it so frustrating to be stuck behind you, Ben. You even forgot who was in your team once. It means ten minutes spent looking up opta stats or reading match reports is probably better spent wanking or making a boiled-egg sandwich.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 14th November 2014, 7:17 PM GMT

Yes good point
I think I'll wait until the last minute

Very hard to put a team together at the minute. Gerry's bought Lambert which is something I considered following his goal the other night. Madness to captain him though. Dan's bought Rooney which I also considered but couldn't finance. Another good pick with Van Princess developing terminal ball-fear.

Bollocks. Just realised that Di Maria was my captain. I knew I should have switched to Costa.

Quote: Ben @ 29th November 2014, 4:33 PM GMT

Bollocks. Just realised that Di Maria was my captain. I knew I should have switched to Costa.

.....or maybe not.

We are now in the period of high suspensions and fake injuries because players want time off for Christmas arrangements. The next month and a bit will be a lottery even more than usual. Then in mid January, the majority of them will miraculously return.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 29th November 2014, 3:10 PM GMT

Very hard to put a team together at the minute. Gerry's bought Lambert which is something I considered following his goal the other night. Madness to captain him though. Dan's bought Rooney which I also considered but couldn't finance. Another good pick with Van Princess developing terminal ball-fear.

I primarily bought Rooney to finance buying Charlie Austin! Plus, even a team currently as crap as United should beat Hull at home.

Dan

In the interests of good sportsmanship, there's a Gameweek tonight and tomorrow. Deadline 7:30pm tonight

Dan

I think I played the Yaya card way too early...