BCG Fantasy Premier League 2014/15 Page 24

Yeah Baines has been great
I'm just glad I bought him at 6.9

Dan seems to know a bit about the game - I'd be interested in why he's able to get maximum bonus points as the defender in a conceding team.

Last season the revised bonus system favoured defenders to the detriment of the game overall but they still haven't got it right. A penalty should not be worth as much as a goal from open play.

You also shouldn't get -2pts for missing it. A more logical system would be two points for scoring it, 0pts for missing and a -2pts off the tally of the player who gave it away.
Baines isn't a natural left back and should be reclassified as a midfielder.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 7th November 2014, 6:44 PM GMT

The only reason I didn't congratulate you was because I thought it was funnier not to.
Although I fear some of the others may have had more sinister motives in snubbing you.

Laughing out loud

I thought I had a really good week but I've actually dropped a place:

I never understand Gerry's video clips.

I seem to be the only one bothered by bonus points but I see that Sanchez got three despite only scoring once and getting a yellow card.

Time was when a yellow card stopped you getting bonus points.

Looks like I was denied entrance to the 549 points club. Personally, I blame Harry Kane turning up in his espadrilles.

Baines is on a decent run (with his clean sheets, assists and poorly struck penalties) and Coleman seems to have resurfaced too. I don't think I'd be tempted to buy them both, but I imagine someone, somewhere, will double up.

Quote: Splodge @ 10th November 2014, 10:07 AM GMT

Looks like I was denied entrance to the 549 points club.

Why am I at the bottom of the 549ers?
Is it so I can be one place above Splodge again?

Sergio Aguero. That's it. Not a decent f**ker. Except Ziggy Sigurdson of course who I benched. Top managing.

Quote: Splodge @ 10th November 2014, 10:07 AM GMT

Baines is on a decent run (with his clean sheets, assists and poorly struck penalties) and Coleman seems to have resurfaced too. I don't think I'd be tempted to buy them both, but I imagine someone, somewhere, will double up.

I'm tempted to go for 2x Southampton defenders. Their GA is quite phenomenal.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ 10th November 2014, 12:21 AM GMT

Dan seems to know a bit about the game - I'd be interested in why he's able to get maximum bonus points as the defender in a conceding team.

Last season the revised bonus system favoured defenders to the detriment of the game overall but they still haven't got it right. A penalty should not be worth as much as a goal from open play.

You also shouldn't get -2pts for missing it. A more logical system would be two points for scoring it, 0pts for missing and a -2pts off the tally of the player who gave it away.
Baines isn't a natural left back and should be reclassified as a midfielder.

from http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/ if you expand the 'Scoring' section and scroll to bottom:

How is the BPS score calculated?

Players score BPS points based on the following statistics (one point for each unless otherwise stated):

Action BPS
Playing 1 to 60 minutes: 3
Playing over 60 minutes: 6
Goalkeepers and defenders scoring a goal: 12
Midfielders scoring a goal: 18
Forwards scoring a goal: 24
Assists: 9
Goalkeepers and defenders keeping a clean sheet: 12
Saving a penalty: 15
Save: 1
Open play cross: 1
Creating a big chance (a chance where the receiving player should score): 3
For every 3 clearances, blocks and interceptions (total): 1
For every 3 recoveries: 1
Key pass: 1
Successful tackle (net*): 1
Successful dribble: 1
Scoring the goal that wins a match: 3
70 to 79% pass completion (at least 30 passes made): 3
80 to 89% pass completion (at least 30 passes made): 6
90%+ pass completion (at least 30 passes made): 9
Conceding a penalty: -3
Missing a penalty: -6
Yellow card: -3
Red card: -9
Own goal: -6
Missing a big chance: -3
Making an error which leads to a goal: -3
Making an error which leads to an attempt at goal: -1
Being tackled: -1
Conceding a foul: -1
Being caught offside: -1
Shot off target: -1

*Net successful tackles is the total of all successful tackles minus any unsuccessful tackles. Players will not be awarded negative BPS points for this statistic.

Data is supplied by Opta and once it has been marked as final will not be changed. We will not enter into discussion around any of the statistics used to calculate this score for any individual match.

Baines got 32 BPS this week. So, as far as I can tell, he got:
Playing 1 to 60 minutes: 3
Playing over 60 minutes: 6
Goalkeepers and defenders scoring a goal: 12

So, he's already got 21 points before I can figure out what else he got, assuming he gets a few for the amount of crosses he's put in (open play cross are 1pt a time).

Interestingly, this means there are two points systems going on: the one we're interested in, and the one that sets up the bonus points. Does seem to be biased to the forwards IMO, as look as the amount a striker gets for scoring a goal (24 points) and they basically don't have to do anything else, whereas your defenders are running around like blue-arsed flies blocking, clearing, intercepting, recovering, tackling, not making errors, getting booked or sent off to get to the same BPS points total!

In fact, a sub striker who comes on in injury time, has a single touch where someone's shot hit him on the arse and went in gets 24 points minimum and does f**k all the rest of the time, gets more points than someone who runs the game for 90 minutes (9 points), scores a single goal (24 points) but hits the post or bar 10 times in a game (-10) -- assuming none of them is a 'big chance' (-3 points each) -- leaving him 23 points!

So, in the words of Mark Zuckerburg, 'It's Complicated'...

Dan

Hey, Dan: WTF?

I have a lot of injuries
But I don't really want to wildcard
I didn't want to take a hit either but that now looks unlikely

Well, it's the international break so they might be OK by next weekend

Yes good point
I think I'll wait until the last minute

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 14th November 2014, 7:17 PM GMT

Yes good point
I think I'll wait until the last minute

Feel free to make a rash decision right now, Steve.

For the good of the game.

I can't wait to get rid of Kaboul.