Derek - Series 2

The second series starts on 23rd April and quite frankly I cannot wait. It took me a while to get into Derek but once I did, I was hooked. IMO, I thought Derek was one of the best TV series of 2013 and have been looking forward to the new series all year and after looking at the trailer it looks rather good.

Anybody else looking forward to the new episodes?

Yeah, I very much liked series 1, so looking forward to this too.

Dan

Me too. :)

Shite!

Personally I think it's awful...not even so much as a smile never mind a laugh when watching this show!

Well, that was shite. The humour is so obvious and lazily written it's painful. Derek seems to switch from Ricky Gervais doing a funny voice to full on autistic whenever the story demands it. The emotional scenes are unearned and trite; the worst example in tonight's episode was when Hannah was reading Derek's wish list. All in all a dull, unimaginative, self indulgent pile of cack. The emperor has no clothes. Do one Gervais and don't come back until you've pulled your head out of your overrated arse.

Second half definitely better than the first.

An abomination, it's like Channel 4 contracted Ebola for half an hour.

An incomprehensibly bad and poorly written disaster, it's not only bad but it lessens not just the actors, not just the audience, but human civilisation.

Oh and it turns out Derek is Oirish, so it turns out the first season wasn't mawkish enough.

And why is there an alcoholic sex offender living in an old folks home, why is the managers succesful partner sitting around looking like a stroke victim, why did Derek's dad suddenly give up being able to live on his own, why is the new volunteer apparently a section 8 psychopath from Afghanistan, why am I even asking this.

Fantastic opening episode to the new series. Such a shame thought that Dougie has left :(

Quote: sootyj @ 23rd April 2014, 10:47 PM BST

Oh and it turns out Derek is Oirish, so it turns out the first season wasn't mawkish enough.

So turns out his dad's a hard drinking, feckless womaniser...not your typical Irishman then Smarmy

I think the Irish president is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5OWRRJh-PI

there were a few passable lines, but cast adrift in the mawkishness.

The wig thing was kinda funny

I only saw one episode last series. Didn't think it was well received so am surprised to see it back. It wasn't my cup of tea and couldn't get what type of thing Gervais was trying to achieve or what response he was after. TBH I thought Derek was a funny sketch character and that's it. Like Coogan he tries to get too much out of minor ideas, and producers indulge both of them instead of saying 'Are you sure there's a whole series in this?' like they do to everyone else.

This show is just one long apology from Gervais for using the term mong. Think of it as a PR stunt.

Does anyone remember the original Derek sketch made back in the 1990s where Gervais mercilessly took the piss out of the autograph obsessed loner Derek? Well that was how Derek was born and that was where the comedy came from. The new incarceration is just soppy uneven bilge.

Karl Pilkington has shown he is far smarter than he looks by jumping ship.

I'd agree with you 99 percent of the way, but....

do you really think this awful, piss take of a guy who clearly has some undiagnosed social/learning disability is actually an apology? And not an expected mickey take?

Quote: sootyj @ 24th April 2014, 12:07 PM BST

I'd agree with you 99 percent of the way, but....

do you really think this awful, piss take of a guy who clearly has some undiagnosed social/learning disability is actually an apology? And not an expected mickey take?

No, I don't think it's a piss take, or at least it's not intended to be.

Derek is cast as a hero. The kindest of the kind. Lover of everything but bad things. He's a bit slow but he's better than nost "normal" people yadda yadda Rolling eyes