The Ken Dodd Show

Just heard The Ken Dodd Show's Doddy's Comic Cuts and I'm quite impressed on how funny it was. Maybe it's something dated for today's taste but either I'm getting older or it really is damn funny. It sounds so physical... they really put every ounce of energy into these shows back in the day.

If you haven't heard the show before I greatly advice you do.

Quote: Alphonseuss @ 23rd February 2014, 9:07 AM GMT

Just heard The Ken Dodd Show's Doddy's Comic Cuts and I'm quite impressed on how funny it was. Maybe it's something dated for today's taste but either I'm getting older or it really is damn funny. It sounds so physical... they really put every ounce of energy into these shows back in the day.

If you haven't heard the show before I greatly advice you do.

I went to see him live some 10 years ago and was amazed at his rapid one liners (I think he holds the record for number of jokes in one hour?) - he just does not stop the patter, and the other thing about him is:-

I had arranged for my wife to pick me up after the show, so when I rang her at 10.30 pm, she said she was on her way, but I had to tell her that I was ringing because that was only the first part of the show and this was the interval! He then went on in the second half keeping up with the same standard and we finally got out of the theatre at midnight - I have never known an evening to go so quickly. The man is a legend. Dated maybe and from another era but you cannot deny his energy and value for money!

I've seen him live as well... I think the style of humour was too dated for me at the time

One thing about a Ken Dodd show - you always go home in daylight.

What a beautiful day for sticking a cucumber through the vicar's letter box and shouting "The Martians have landed!"

Simple, filthy, yet not........clever and I love it. :D

Just got back from his show at Wolves Civic Hall and yes, it is only 10.30.

Left at half time because he was, well, crap.

Seemed to be struggling to remember lines and those he did remember were old and tired (new bra for the wife - what size - 6 7/8 - that's not a size - well that's the size of my bowler hat and that fits . . well, you know the rest).

Sad, but time to call it a day Ken.

So Chappers did he yell at you

"does your mam know you're out so late our kid?"

Quote: sootyj @ 14th December 2014, 11:00 PM GMT

So Chappers did he yell at you

"does your mam know you're out so late our kid?"

Eh?

I was implying our Doddy was the only fella old enough to consider you a mere youth

Apart from billwill that is . . .

Sad to hear, OR. Perhaps it was just a bad night?

Quote: Aaron @ 15th December 2014, 12:09 AM GMT

Sad to hear, OR. Perhaps it was just a bad night?

Maybe, he was coughing a lot but the material wouldn't be affected by that.

Why can't he start at 7.30, do an hour, take a 20 minute interval and then do another hour? I'm probably dismissing my own argument here about the material but he could edit it down and get rid of things like the bra joke?

He must know that stuff like that has been done to death.

And ditch the support acts playing Danny Boy on the recorder and guitar.

I would say that I was not alone by any means in leaving at that time.

Quote: Oldrocker @ 14th December 2014, 10:36 PM GMT

Just got back from his show at Wolves Civic Hall and yes, it is only 10.30.

Left at half time because he was, well, crap.

Seemed to be struggling to remember lines and those he did remember were old and tired (new bra for the wife - what size - 6 7/8 - that's not a size - well that's the size of my bowler hat and that fits . . well, you know the rest).

Sad, but time to call it a day Ken.

That is a quite brilliant joke. He is a bit dated but that's what makes him special. I last saw him about 3 years ago and he had slowed down a bit then.

At least his dad's dog's not dead!

Doddy the Tory MP?

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/showbiz-tv/ken-dodd-cannock-tory-candidate-7025605

Ha ha! A brilliant idea, but surely he'd sooner stand in Knotty Ash?