Get Some In!

Anyone remember this?

Get Some In! was a British television series about life in Royal Air Force National Service broadcast between 1975 and 1978 by Thames Television. Scripts were by John Esmonde and Bob Larbey, the team behind the BBC TV sitcom The Good Life.

The programme drew its inspiration from late 1950s/early 1960s National Service situation-comedy The Army Game, and from nostalgic BBC TV sitcom Dad's Army, but the RAF setting gave it enough originality not to seem formulaic. Thirty-four (commercial) half-hour episodes were made.

The series has never been repeated in full on terrestrial TV in the UK, although the UKTV Gold cable channel has aired the episodes uncut. It screened in Australia in the early 1980s.

Personally I think this is a very good sitcom. What do you think?

'Sfunny, 'cos I was only thinking the other day about this series (set in RAF), along with The Army Game and couldn't remember if there was ever a TV series set in the Navy - had 'em on the radio of course......

I'm not old enough to remember it from the TV, but I came across this little gem a few years back and now have it on DVD - I've watched it all the way through several times now and laugh every time I watch it.

Seemed a strong sitcom at the time. Robert Lindsay just before Citizen Smith or even running at the same time, but he was very big on TV then so it was a hugely popular sitcom, I remember. His name was Smith it this too.
Name?
Smiff.
One f or two?
Free!
:D
Odd that this popular sitcom has never been rerun. Huh?

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd February 2014, 9:00 PM GMT

Seemed a strong sitcom at the time. Robert Lindsay just before Citizen Smith or even running at the same time, but he was very big on TV then so it was a hugely popular sitcom, I remember. His name was Smith it this too.
Name?
Smiff.
One f or two?
Free!
:D
Odd that this popular sitcom has never been rerun. Huh?

It's too un-PC to be shown these days, more's the pity.

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th February 2014, 2:53 PM GMT

'Sfunny, 'cos I was only thinking the other day about this series (set in RAF), along with The Army Game and couldn't remember if there was ever a TV series set in the Navy - had 'em on the radio of course......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell_It_to_the_Marines_%28TV_series%29

In what way is it un-pc? I remember enjoying it as a kid but can't really remember anything about it.

Quote: ComedyGeek @ 17th February 2014, 1:26 PM GMT

Anyone remember this?

Personally I think this is a very good sitcom. What do you think?

One of my favourite comedies this and very underrated. Tony Selby was brilliant as Marsh. Being ex-RAF, I can sympathise with the abuse the erks got. Not in the same league as Dad's Army but nonetheless very funny.

A good sitcom at the time. My father who did national service about that time said the barrack settings were very real and the corporals could be real bastards.

I downloaded and archived every episode from YouTube as part of a personal tribute to Bob Larbey. Turned out, I very much enjoyed the show. Mildly humourous to hilarious!

Quote: Mike Selway @ 21st December 2014, 1:32 PM GMT

I downloaded and archived every episode from YouTube as part of a personal tribute to Bob Larbey. Turned out, I very much enjoyed the show. Mildly humourous to hilarious!

You could have purchased the box set. That would have been a better tribute than YouTube, surely?

Just saying.

Quote: Percival Marsh @ 25th December 2014, 9:22 AM GMT

You could have purchased the box set. That would have been a better tribute than YouTube, surely?

Just saying.

Yeah yeah. It was part of challenge to watch every thing that Larbey wrote. Quite a long list. So I economized when I could.

Get Some In, was/is a funny show. Timeless comedy. Any age group should enjoy.

It was just one of the many many writings of Mr. Larbey. To set a goal of watching every TV show he was involved in is a lofty one for sure. Good luck and don't be deterred by how some people want to spend other people's money.

After watching three episodes I can safely say I like it. I like the main cast but I didn't know any of them apart from Lindsay.

The guy who played the army doctor is the other one I've seen before. Am I imagining it or did he play a medical man in everything I've seen him in before? I think he played a doctor in OFAH, IAHHM and SMDHE. Or am I wrong?

EDIT: John D. Collins seems to be his name.

Was he a British Airman in 'Allo 'Allo!?

and the Corporal was Tony Selby who's been in loads of things.

Karl Howman was in Brush Strokes and David Jansen - amongst other things because I remember my sister fancying him - was Hyacinth Bucket's long-suffering postman.

Just looked it up and here is a cast-list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZRo2fYVBVY

Only in one or two episodes include Adrienne Posta, Paul Eddington, Talfryn Thomas, Alfred Marx, George Baker, Jill Baker and Roy Kinnear.