Showbiz anecdotes - can you trust them?

Many years ago I saw Spike Milligan tell the tale of how Peter Sellers called around his house, very excited to show him his new Rolls Royce, but said there was an annoying squeak coming from somewhere at the back of the car, and so would Spike get in the boot, with a piece of chalk, and mark with a cross inside the boot where it was, as Peter drove the Roller around the streets.

Move forward a few years and I was bought a set of audio cassettes by Graham Stark "Remembering Peter Sellers"......and blow me down, he related the same story almost word for word that the incident actually happened to him.

Who was telling the truth OR did it ever happen? How many other anecdotes maybe total fiction?

David Niven was apt to re-spin a few yarns that happened to other people as his personal anecdotes.

Milligan, in one of his autobiographies, mentions confronting his father about the fantastic tales he had told him as a child, and his father admitted it was all lies, saying: "Would you rather have a boring truth or an exciting lie?"

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 17th February 2014, 10:30 AM GMT

Many years ago I saw Spike Milligan tell the tale of how Peter Sellers called around his house, very excited to show him his new Rolls Royce, but said there was an annoying squeak coming from somewhere at the back of the car, and so would Spike get in the boot, with a piece of chalk, and mark with a cross inside the boot where it was, as Peter drove the Roller around the streets.

Move forward a few years and I was bought a set of audio cassettes by Graham Stark "Remembering Peter Sellers"......and blow me down, he related the same story almost word for word that the incident actually happened to him.

Who was telling the truth OR did it ever happen? How many other anecdotes maybe total fiction?

Or maybe they were both telling the truth and Sellers played the prank on half a dozen of his mates?

Quote: Aaron @ 17th February 2014, 2:39 PM GMT

Or maybe they were both telling the truth and Sellers played the prank on half a dozen of his mates?

Or maybe there's an "anecdote writer to the stars" Angelic - next time I watch a chat show I will look to see if there is such a credit at the end.

"Don't be blue, Peter"

Quote: lofthouse @ 17th February 2014, 9:24 PM GMT

"Don't be blue, Peter"

?

Quote: Tim Azure @ 17th February 2014, 10:46 PM GMT

Maybe you are confusing him with Cook, or possibly Duncan...?

?

Spikes Milligan and Lee?

One you can't trust.

It is very important to immerse yourself in a character. People need to get the gait, the tone of voice, what shoes you have to wear-with an actor it all comes down to the shoes.
But even goes as far as to auditions. Some people have been known to wear cravats to Restoration Comedies, women have been known to wear black to auditions for Agatha Christie plays. A jacket with arm patches is useful should you ever want to become a teacher.
But seriously, you must immense some auditionees do take this costume a bit too far. A case in point.
There was this chap who took on the behaviour of Abraham Lincoln, how he moved, what he did. He grew his infamous beard without the moustache, obtained an old suit, and obtained a huge stovepipe hat.
Fully prepared and with a script in tow he arrived at the theatre...

...and got shot.

(After Simon Brett)

A story goes that Tommy Steele was a horrible bastard to work with ,when he did the London stage version of 'Singin In The Rain' the climax of the show was of course the title song .A huge 'rain machine'was used for the rain-which many of the crew and cast would urinate in before the show!

Quote: uncle mort @ 21st December 2014, 5:48 PM GMT

A story goes that Tommy Steele was a horrible bastard to work with ,when he did the London stage version of 'Singin In The Rain' the climax of the show was of course the title song .A huge 'rain machine'was used for the rain-which many of the crew and cast would urinate in before the show!

That's brilliant! It's a bit like the Kate Beckensale one about the time she micturated into a prominent Director's coffee pot.

I recall the time that myself, Katie Hopkins and minor "celebs" such as Audrey Hepburn, Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, John Lennon, and Muhammad Ali were at a function and Frank said "could of" instead of "could HAVE"! Oh how we all laughed! Katie, however was most displeased......