The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern

I wasn't sure where to put this, as it's kind of a mix of sitcom and sketch show.

Whatever it is, it's vacant pish. It's no surprise that it's on BBC Four rather than on a channel that would be watched by a lot of people.

Quote: faceless @ 11th February 2014, 12:23 AM GMT

I wasn't sure where to put this, as it's kind of a mix of sitcom and sketch show.

Whatever it is, it's vacant pish. It's no surprise that it's on BBC Four rather than on a channel that would be watched by a lot of people.

Not as good as Birds Of A Feather, eh? Rolling eyes

Didn't see more than 5 mins but it looked incredibly familiar comedy territory, well trodden in fact. Just a different list of marginal comedy faces wanting to do their spin on the old Ruttles gag. Indulgent stuff.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th February 2014, 8:57 AM GMT

incredibly familiar comedy territory,

Exactly what I assumed before I watched it, but I gave it a second chance and streamed the cave paintings clip; which only served to confirm my initial assumption, unfortunately.

However, I gave it a third chance, watched the clip of 'Chinese Meal', and found myself strangely drawn in. So I tried the whole show, and discovered it wasn't all overly-familiar after all. I enjoyed the satirical take on the whole solemn BBC rockumentary thing, and there were a few moments where I LOLled, like when Vic and Bob were talking about Dylan.

One thing that marked it out as different was that it was a rather affectionate take on the music, instead of being completely condescending. Yes, there were loads of laboured unfunny gags, some bits suffered from looking cheap and I found it distracting that Brian was so obviously Peter Gabriel; but I'm going to keep tuning in.

I did watch the Danny Baker 70s rock chat thing after it and I thought they summed up the absurdities of Gabriel & co. very succinctly. A lot cheaper than a mocdoc with lots of names in. Prog and hard rock has been lampooned to death on film surely.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 11th February 2014, 11:19 AM GMT

Prog and hard rock has been lampooned to death on film surely.

Yes it has; and this didn't rely on doing it.

I'm much the same: found it old hat and obvious in many places, but there was enough funny stuff to keep me entertained. Might watch again. Probably forget.

And, yes, BBC Four, very strange place to find it.

Quote: the science eel @ 11th February 2014, 2:48 AM GMT

Not as good as Birds of a Feather, eh? Rolling eyes

Birds Of A Feather does appeal directly to its target audience. This does not. It was, as mentioned above, indulgent. And pish.

So many great faces, but no refined substance.

First part of this was very hit and miss...

The funny ideas were very funny. The misses were often very old concepts, poorly executed.

Always like a bit of Simon Day though. Interesting accent he picked. Clues as to its real-life genesis?

I've enjoyed episode 2 more, but I can't help feeling I've seen all the jokes and ideas before.

Episode 2 produced a lot more laughs...

:)

Funny how Noel Edmonds - after the Brass Eye special - has somehow managed to become in-on-the-joke on this and show some talent for comedy performance...

Still a bit of a c**t though.

I've enjoyed both
Funny stuff

Phil Collins drumming & Tom Jones long note cracked me up

Quote: T.W. @ 20th February 2014, 3:09 PM GMT

Noel Edmonds -

What was going on with his beard? I was convinced it was part of a gag, but it seems he just likes it to look preposterously black.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ 21st February 2014, 2:11 PM GMT

I've enjoyed both
Funny stuff

Phil Collins drumming & Tom Jones long note cracked me up

The Phil Collins/"Stairway" bit near the end of Ep. 2 was so funny that the series deserves a BARFTA, a Golden Nose, and a Silver Scrotum just for that bit alone.

Vic & Bob are great too!

Quote: George Kaplan @ 22nd February 2014, 11:51 AM GMT

The Phil Collins/"Stairway" bit near the end of Ep. 2 was so funny/..

It would have been funny once or twice, but they repeated the gag too often imo.