Boomers

I've just read on the Guardian's culture RSS feed that there is a BBC sitcom brewing with some strange 'bedfellows'.

A group of OAP friends in Norfolk, featuring Stephanie Beacham, Alison Steadman and... Russ Abbot. As the article has it- linking Dynasty , Mike Leigh and Abbot's Madhouse would be a 10,000/1 bet a few years ago. La Beacham has, of course, already shown comedic skills in Corrie- a serial now badly in need of fun.

It does sound like a potential 'Last Of The Summer Wine 2- This time It's Interminable'.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/story/000001238/alison_steadman_grey_mates_pilot/

Aha. Thanks for update, hadn't seen this. The last para has odd news- I guess they don't always broadcast pilots, but you'd think that this one was worth it- some very dodgy pilots do get shown.

The pilot episode of Grey Mates will be filmed in September on location in the seaside town of Hunstanton and in a TV studio set. The episode is not expected to be broadcast on television.

Renamed Boomers, the sitcom formerly known as Grey Mates begins later this week. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Quote: Aaron @ 11th August 2014, 3:54 PM BST

Renamed Boomers, the sitcom formerly known as Grey Mates begins later this week. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Well, if the trailers are anything to go by it doesn't look great but I will definitely give it a go on Friday.

I was really looking forward to this - cast looks fantastic.

If the Guardian are praising it though I might have second thoughts.

Is it about sound engineers? Geek Cool

Quote: Chappers @ 11th August 2014, 5:42 PM BST

I was really looking forward to this - cast looks fantastic.

If the Guardian are praising it though I might have second thoughts.

The clip on this website, doesn't enthuse me!

Enjoying this but Nigel Planer is a different generation.

Some of my favourite actors.

Bastards! It's the reason the BBC turned down my sitcom, because my characters were pensioners, and they thought it too similar. What bollocks!

Great cast, good storyline for an opening episode but the script was just not funny. I only laughed twice, very poor! Nice to see Nigel Planer though!

Couple of funny lines but wasn't very believable. First episodes are generally middle of the road and this was just that. Will watch episode 2.

Quote: beaky @ 15th August 2014, 9:34 PM BST

Bastards! It's the reason the BBC turned down my sitcom, because my characters were pensioners, and they thought it too similar. What bollocks!

My deepest sympathy to you and anyone else who watched this.

It's like someone watched Last of the Summer Wine and said man that show's way too funny.

It doesn't seem to be a real sitcom but I suppose there are some that have a gentle feel while others are ridiculously over the top and non-realistic with many degrees in between.

Would be boring if they were all the same. Still I guess it's only really likely to appeal to over 40s.

Beaky, they turned down a sitcom of mine which featured pensioners