Bless This House The Film

Popular 1970s sitcom spin-off film starring Sid James, Terry Scott, Diana Coupland and June Whitfield Robin Askwith.

I love this film very funny & great. Anyone else like this film?

Yes, I do. It's a very gentle film and I like how they don't go on holiday or anything high-concept. It's sticks to it's slice-of-life roots.

I'm sure there's another thread on this because we discussed Askwith replacing the other bloke.

A great film. BTW Chappers there isn't.

Good film, but not as good as the series. Great performances, but I've always felt it feels slightly less structured.

I think Sid James refused to work with Robin Stewart on the movie because he had been very unprofessional on the set of the TV series. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

As for the film itself, it's very enjoyable, if clearly not part of the continuity of the series.

Quote: Chappers @ 25th June 2013, 9:55 PM BST

I'm sure there's another thread on this because we discussed Askwith replacing the other bloke.

You're right because I can remember saying something about it after reading Sid's biog. but I'll be blowed if I can find it now under any related thread.

Quote: Knotty @ 16th February 2015, 4:29 PM GMT

I think Sid James refused to work with Robin Stewart on the movie because he had been very unprofessional on the set of the TV series. Can anyone confirm or refute this?

As for the film itself, it's very enjoyable, if clearly not part of the continuity of the series.

Yes, it was mentioned in Sid's biog. I read about a year ago - Stewart was lazy and would turn up late on set having not learnt his lines properly and this annoyed Sid very much, and I'm sure it was he that got the actor changed for the film.

Quote: Knotty @ 16th February 2015, 4:29 PM GMT

Yes. It is a common belief but incorrect.

Robin Askwith starred in the film as he was an established film star and more bankable for the distributors who were backing it.

Quote: Aaron @ 16th February 2015, 5:05 PM GMT

Yes. It is a common belief but incorrect.

Robin Askwith starred in the film as he was an established film star and more bankable for the distributors who were backing it.

Well, that is the way I read it in Sid's biog., which wouldn't have stated that if there was no truth in it, and as for your second point - Diana Coupland or say Sally Geeson were hardly what you would call established film stars.

I definitely read in that book that Sid was not impressed with Robin Stewart's work ethic.

The enchanting Carol Hawkins ---in the role of Askwiths' love interest------was an absolute winning bonus for conniseurs of early-70s Brit Comedy.

Sally Geeson and Carol Hawkins......Oh my.....

Yes indeed! I'll admit that the great attraction of buying the Fenn Street Gang DVDs was the prospect of seeing Carol's character Sharon Eversleigh in those hotpants. Still sexy after all these years...

http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/miaawgcn0Qdj2iDKJgXYEhg.jpg ;)

Phew!!!!!!!

Dunno how Hedges didn't keep his hands off of her. :P

The film is on Talking Pictures TV this afternoon 4.45pm. Just as the football results start coming in.